Things you love often are not good for you

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
I am taking my Girl Scouts camping and prepped a bunch of food, snacks, etc. Before leaving, I fed my colony and, on a whim, put in 3 tiny pieces of Craisins and a few raw sunflower seeds. Other than a few cheerios here and there, my colony get the standard/approved healthy diet. Today was different and I was mostly just curious.

First, they came to investigate when the lid was still off (good sense of smell?).

Next, a larger nymph climbed out of the dish, under it and started to move the entire lid away (coincidence?).

Then, it, and 2 others, each grabbed a piece and tried to drag their Craisin away with them unsuccessfully (it kept slipping/falling).

Finally, one dubia spent 20 seconds rolled around it and then walked off with it firmly attached to its underside. The other 2 did the same.

Anyone else fascinated by roach behavior? I'm a little concerned that they may be be organized and tunneling through under my bed. I'm afraid to look.

Also, are Craisins ok for roaches to eat?

I'm surprised everyday how interesting roaches are to watch. They used to gross me out, I couldn't believe people kept them as pets. Now I'll sit there and watch them eat an orange. Honestly they are some amazing cleaners, survivors, docile, intelligent entertaining things when you give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom