things you cannot gut load your feeders with....

Really old thread, but a good "bump" for new members! Gutloading is just as important as supplements - one cannot replace the other, and they go hand in hand for good chameleon health.

Sandrachameleon isn't on regularly, but she is our resident gutloading guru. She has a number of blog posts that predate the new forum format that are just stuffed full of great information on gutloading and nutritional value of foodstuffs. Also contained in her blog posts are some recipes that she posted for custom-blend dry gutload mixes. (If you come across any broken links, let a moderator know.)

Blog: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/entry/feeder-nutrition-amp-gutloading.75/

Based on her info, you can go really fancy or stay simple and know that you have a good mix to add to fresh veggies. Another option is a high-quality commercially prepared dry mix like Bug Burger, Cricket Crack, or Bug Buffet which is made by one of our members here. For a fresh blend, I usually keep oranges, carrots, bell peppers or turnips, butternut squash, and a rotation of leafy greens in the house for the bugs, plus scraps from whatever fruit/veggies I happen to eat, and I also use Bug Burger. I noticed when I needed to have healthy food in the house for the bugs, I started to eat a bit healthier too :)

Another good post on the nutritional value of feeders: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/nutritional-analysis.2522/#post171073

I raise my dubias using a mix of chinchilla food and alfalfa. The chinchilla food has about 20% protein - not from animal origin but rather from soy and alfalfa, little fat.
I partially grind the thing and the roaches seem to be doing great.
Then the nymphs are separated every once in a while to a separate bin where they are gutloaded with fruits and veggies.

image.jpeg
I get this at Feeders Supply, in bulk. As you can see, inexpensive.

It is a very interesting subject and one of the keys to succesfully keep healthy animals

We tend to blend our veggies and fruit then freeze them in ice cubes trays and use as we need. It saves time without compromising the quality.

We grow some herbs like dandelions.

This is what I got from the care sheet to use for gut loading

Best
Mustard Greens
Turnip Greens
Dandelion Leaves
Collard Greens
Escarole Lettuce
PApaya
Watercress
Alf Alf A

Good
Sweet Potato
Carrots
Oranges
Mango
Butter Nut Squash
Kale
Apples
Beet Greens
Black Berries
Bok Choy
Green Beans

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates.

Vertebrates (pinkies, lizards, etc.) are not a notable part of a chameleon's normal diet in the wild. Too many animal proteins in the diet of an animal that's not a carnivore can wreak havoc on their kidneys leading to kidney damage and gout due the difference in protein breakdown. Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and supplementation.

Maybe it's time to update revise the care sheet to add some other items to better help gut loading

Back
Top Bottom