Things that are not helpful on the forums...

Decadancin

Moderatoris Americanus
Staff member
So, in my years of activity here, I have reached some conclusions. There are certain things that absolutely have no value and add nothing to chameleon care. This may sound strange from a moderator, but here are some examples...

This list will likely expand as time passes.

Now I'm sure you are wondering what things on the forums need to change...

The first that comes to mind is when forum members attack newcomers who don't yet know that they are doing things incorrectly. It adds no value and often will lead to new keepers going elsewhere or worse yet, not seeking advice they truly need. People will respond to friendly advice much faster than attacks based on what they have done before they knew it was incorrect.

The next, is new members who ignore advice from those who have learned over the years and are politely trying to help. Often they will get rude and defensive and lash out at those who are giving advice. The one who suffers is the chameleon, and no one benefits from this.

Now, sometimes the newbie did not come here for advice, but they desperately need it! We need to keep that in mind when responding.

Lastly, and I will open the thread to replies, established members who do not post enough pictures of chameleons...

Damn, I'm guilty... I'll work on it in a separate thread this weekend (and so should all of you! 😉)
Hmmm...this one requires a lot of thought. Should I laugh or cry about it?

Oh, and one more, members who decide not to help newcomers simply because they have asked the same question that has been asked a million times before..

Remember, it is new to them and they need our help to be successful.
I'm guilty of this at times. I just don't always have the emotional or physical energy to answer newcomers with the kindness and openness needed. I've decided to at least share the husbandry form so members who do get the info they need to help.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine, and not necessarily the worst thing, but why do we send people to other resources for information when it is right here? We send them away and they can't get continued advice from those trying to help them out.
I feel like there's a design solution for this. What if the forum basic info care sheet links or images were easier to post/share as buttons in the WYSIWYG editor?

Sometimes more detailed and in depth information is better elsewhere (Cham academy UVB / dragon ledges articles) and sometimes people learn better through video or audio. Cham forums is great for blogs, written explanations, personalized advice. I don't see that at odds with other media or resources tbh!

I feel like there's a design solution for this. What if the forum basic info care sheet links or images were easier to post/share as buttons in the WYSIWYG editor?

Sometimes more detailed and in depth information is better elsewhere (Cham academy UVB / dragon ledges articles) and sometimes people learn better through video or audio. Cham forums is great for blogs, written explanations, personalized advice. I don't see that at odds with other media or resources tbh!

Agreed... @Brad and I have discussed this...

Thats a great idea. Im in IT and anytime we have to submit a support ticket, the site will offer a bunch of suggested reading based on our keywords.

I'm guilty of this at times. I just don't always have the emotional or physical energy to answer newcomers with the kindness and openness needed. I've decided to at least share the husbandry form so members who do get the info they need to help.

Me too. I contemplated a document where I could cut and paste the answers, but never did it 😆.

The next thing that has absolutely no value here on the forums is white chocolate.

I'm not saying we have a major problem, but it simply has no place in chameleon care...
What do you mean by this one. The others I completely agree with and might be little guilty of once or twice. I'm sorry for that

Well it looks like we are at an impasse, my friend.

20221008_114929.jpg

Not going to derail this (chocolate rain 4eva).

Great points. I really enjoy sharing my projects and my problems, too. Its very helpful for me to read others experiences, and hoping mine helps someone someday. So my request would be to share more pictures, projects, and problems/progress.

Now I'm sure you are wondering what things on the forums need to change...

The first that comes to mind is when forum members attack newcomers who don't yet know that they are doing things incorrectly. It adds no value and often will lead to new keepers going elsewhere or worse yet, not seeking advice they truly need. People will respond to friendly advice much faster than attacks based on what they have done before they knew it was incorrect.
I understand where the frustration comes from... I have seen some shocking stuff here the last 4 years but making someone feel less than is never the answer. I think for some its hard to see something and not approach it from a place of frustration. I find most of our members are great about not doing this and when some slip they are very receptive to feedback on approaching things in a more gentle way. I do try to curtail that when I see it.
The next, is new members who ignore advice from those who have learned over the years and are politely trying to help. Often they will get rude and defensive and lash out at those who are giving advice. The one who suffers is the chameleon, and no one benefits from this.

Now, sometimes the newbie did not come here for advice, but they desperately need it! We need to keep that in mind when responding.
This is one that kills me... I can be helpful as can be and sooooo kind in my feedback and watch others do the same but when people that come here are not receptive and open to help it makes it very difficult to continue to offer any advice as they move forward. I find that I tend to back off from those members who have been rude to me. I will skip their threads all together since there are other threads I am actively helping in.
The next thing that has absolutely no value here on the forums is white chocolate.

I'm not saying we have a major problem, but it simply has no place in chameleon care...
I am totally with you on this one....

Chocolate Spongebob GIF by MTVU

Kind of a pet peeve of mine, and not necessarily the worst thing, but why do we send people to other resources for information when it is right here? We send them away and they can't get continued advice from those trying to help them out.
I am guilty of this.... but I am also very devoted to the forum. I always send newbies to chameleon academy for their husbandry program. The information is current and set up in a way that offers complete explanation. I do not refer to other sites. I always say "go there and then come back with any questions you may have."
In all honestly I do not have the time to fully educate someone on the in's and out's of everything. I take on people often and end up mentoring them. But I can not do this with more then 1 or 2 at a time. I would feel bad about not referring to chameleon academy because I know they will get a full understanding there. Our resource pages need to be reviewed and reworked with updated info. I do not refer to them because of that.
Oh, and one more, members who decide not to help newcomers simply because they have asked the same question that has been asked a million times before..

Remember, it is new to them and they need our help to be successful.
I can not tell you how many times I get tagged for UVB info.... LOL I swear I could type it out in my sleep now. But I think it is important to try to fully explain because I know how dang confused I was about it when I started out.

I absolutely hate to see members sending new members/keepers elsewhere when they could just give hem a link form CF with the needed information. Once we sent them away, it’s a very good chance they want come back. After all these years, I still believe Chameleon Forums is the best place to get chameleon information and with less drama.

Back
Top Bottom