THG Heat Tape Question

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm going to start up a Orange Head roach colony. The room temps where my chameleon and feeders are stays in the mid to upper 60's all year long. Currently it is sitting 65 degrees. So I'll need some type of heat source for my colony.

I was thinking of using the THG heat tape under half of the bin, the part that will have the egg crates. It comes in several sizes, anyone have any experience with using this stuff? I need to get something that will heat the bin but don't want to melt the plastic. Is the 3" strip in the bottom middle of the bin enough, or should I get a wider size?

Also what thermostat are you using with them? Can I get away with a cheap on/off one designed for head pads that cost around $30-40, or do I need a pulse one that costs around $100?

This is the heat tape I'm referring to https://www.joshsfrogs.com/thg-diy-heat-tape-custom-size-sold-by-the-foot.html

This is the gasket bin that I have and will be using for them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-80-Qt-Gasket-Box-19384304/308820138

Thanks for any and all information.

Tony

I use this stuff exclusively for my ball python's and I have to say it's wonderful when controlled correctly. I would HIGHLY suggest getting a pulse style thermostat in order to keep temps regular otherwise you will have too high of a flux of on/off temps (some people have noticed 10-12 degree +/- fluxes with cheap thermostats.) For a roach colony though, unless you're looking to build a rack and house multiple colonies, the investment of THG and a good thermostat I would say is over the top for them. What I would recommend is a seedling starter heat mat (search Amazon) and get a InkBird/HydroFarm thermostat and call it quits. I run one for my roaches and it works just fine. It's cheaper, efficient enough for the roaches, and you don't have to worry about THG heat tape issues/wiring/fires.

I've got a slew of various thermostats I've used for seedling pads. Jump-starts are fine.

As for the temp, yes you can get those heat pads pretty damn hot.

Are all the seeding pads 10x20.75?

Any particular brand better than others?

Is it ok to have it on carpeting? Or should I put something like a set of 12x12 ceramic tiles down for the mat and bin to sit on.?

The mats range in various dimensions, so there is no one single size. I would recommend getting one to cover 3/4 of the base of your colony container though.

I currently have mine on carpet and have zero issues.

Thanks,

I'll keep looking. I've only come across 10x20" and 20x48" seedling mats on amazon so far.

Back
Top Bottom