Thermostats

Do you use a thermostat to control your temperatures?

• Yes, it's mad not to

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, I check it every few minutes myself

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I like my chameleon well done, what's a thermostat

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Not thermometers @Beman , I'm talking about THERMOSTATS that automatically monitor and adjust the temperature.
I thought that was my job!?!? Wait you mean to tell me they have something to regulate this???? I need it. I spend all day checking his basking temp and adjusting the dimmer. Lol what do you recommend because I had no clue these were out there? I feel stupid :p

@SharpShooter I want to get one but they are expensive so I don't want to get the wrong one. I have a fuckers dimmable light fixture right now and I am using incandescent basking bulbs. I would like to get one that will work with the stuff I already have if possible.
I want one that will dim not just shut off totally. When they say pulse what do they mean? The herpstat has an alarm but does it just go off every time it changes temps because that would make me crazy. I think either of these will work but I do not want to make a mistake :)
http://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...s-timers/2793-herpstat-1-spyder-robotics.html
or http://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...-thermostat-ve-200d-vivarium-electronics.html

I thought that was my job!?!? Wait you mean to tell me they have something to regulate this???? I need it. I spend all day checking his basking temp and adjusting the dimmer. Lol what do you recommend because I had no clue these were out there? I feel stupid :p
Just search online for dimming thermostats for reptiles. Get DIMMING though and not the cheaper On/Off ones.

@SharpShooter I want to get one but they are expensive so I don't want to get the wrong one. I have a fuckers dimmable light fixture right now and I am using incandescent basking bulbs. I would like to get one that will work with the stuff I already have if possible.
I want one that will dim not just shut off totally. When they say pulse what do they mean? The herpstat has an alarm but does it just go off every time it changes temps because that would make me crazy. I think either of these will work but I do not want to make a mistake :)
http://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...s-timers/2793-herpstat-1-spyder-robotics.html
or http://www.reptilesupplyco.com/whol...-thermostat-ve-200d-vivarium-electronics.html
You don't need digital displays and loads of gimmicks. A basic dimming stat costs about £45 over here. On/Off stats are only £22 but no good for our use.

Last edited:

Here's an article that explains the different types of thermostats:
https://www.reptilecentre.com/blog/2017/06/which-type-of-thermostat-should-i-buy/

Lol I originally read it as thermometers too, I caught myself and that's why I posted twice in the beginning. Honestly, as far as burns go, I don't see how it happens so often. IMO a thermostat is very nice and I would like one, but not necessarily needed with a little bit of common sense+research. I think too many people buy those hot basking bulbs, put them close thinking reptile= loves constant burning heat.

I tested few basking bulbs till i got the right one. Make sure its close to 88-90 at top 74-78 mid way and 68-72 lowest. Have 3 Thermometers at each level lol. Check em often but not crazily. Usually adjust accordingly to the seasons around here. Thermostat prob make things a lot easier though

The main reason why I think this would be great for me. Is our ambient air fluctuates a lot. So I have gone back and forth with different bulbs watts and types and end up with this one is too hot or this one is too cold. Or noon will hit and the ambient air in the room has warmed up quite a bit so the cage gets hotter. So I end up adjusting the dimmer on the basking fixture at least 6 times a day to keep it right at 85. Otherwise even with a lower wattage it jumps up there. Also we don't have air conditioner just central heat. So for winter when the heat kicks on the same thing happens his basking temp jumps up. In the summer I will have the same situation so I will be opening windows and depending on that it could drop the temp.

I really had no idea this was available. And the idea of it staying steady without me having to constantly check it would be great.

The main reason why I think this would be great for me. Is our ambient air fluctuates a lot. So I have gone back and forth with different bulbs watts and types and end up with this one is too hot or this one is too cold. Or noon will hit and the ambient air in the room has warmed up quite a bit so the cage gets hotter. So I end up adjusting the dimmer on the basking fixture at least 6 times a day to keep it right at 85. Otherwise even with a lower wattage it jumps up there. Also we don't have air conditioner just central heat. So for winter when the heat kicks on the same thing happens his basking temp jumps up. In the summer I will have the same situation so I will be opening windows and depending on that it could drop the temp.

I really had no idea this was available. And the idea of it staying steady without me having to constantly check it would be great.

I had same issue, I was constantly having to mess with the dimmer so that's why I switched to the CHE on a thermostat. I have the CHE up off the top of enclosure a few inches and angled at basking branch and then a second dome fixture with an LED bulb angled to basking spot as well, for light. Honestly, this is working perfectly with the on/off thermostat (inkbird).

I had same issue, I was constantly having to mess with the dimmer so that's why I switched to the CHE on a thermostat. I have the CHE up off the top of enclosure a few inches and angled at basking branch and then a second dome fixture with an LED bulb angled to basking spot as well, for light. Honestly, this is working perfectly with the on/off thermostat (inkbird).
I have a CHE for my bug incubator and honestly I can't get over the fact that yes it is still working without the light lol.

I have a CHE for my bug incubator and honestly I can't get over the fact that yes it is still working without the light lol.
I'm running six different CHE over bug enclosures too, they work great. The silkworms and the cricket ones are also on thermostats. My frog tank is also on a thermostat. I'm thermostat crazy! But really, they work great.

I do not use a thermostat and would challenge the idea that one is necessary.

Three reasons. One, I employ metal halide fixture which cannot be turned on and off frequently. Two, the fixture is positioned in a way that ensures no contact with the animal, therefore making it impossible for him to burn himself. Third, thermoregulation is a natural behavior of reptiles. In an inclosure that is 4 feet tall, with upper 1/3rd being open space and the lower 2/3rd being complete foliage and the bottom being a foot deep moist ground, the temperature variant is very solid. Bottom of the cage is breezy 69-72 degrees.

The key is proper enclosure setup. The animal must be able to achieve 100% shade cover if desired and the temperature gradient must naturally exist. In such conditions, I see no need for a thermostat. One is build into the reptile's brain already.

Back
Top Bottom