Thermostat - Hygrostat

SerpeRoma

Avid Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there's any way to control temperature and humidity without having to adjust lamps and misters manually.

More specifically an automated regulator that could be set for a specific species.

I've seen the "environmental control center" for sale but I can't find a detailed review. I was thinking about building one with some engineer friends, but I'd like to know if there's anything that does it already that I could purchase.

Does anyone ever had something similar? Or have a feedback on the environmental control center?

I've seen stuff like that at reptile shows (small startups), but IMO it's not really needed, and I don't recall anything adjustable per species, per se. Generally, once you have things set up & balanced originally, the only tweaking involved may be when basking or UVB bulbs get changed (and often no further tweaking required). YMMV.

Exceptions might be for folks with substantial swings in climate that aren't controlled by the central HVAC plant.

I have a thermostatically-controlled muffin fan on my beardie box that I got from https://www.coolerguys.com/
They have all the hardware you might need, and assistance in getting the right stuff for your application.

I've seen stuff like that at reptile shows (small startups), but IMO it's not really needed, and I don't recall anything adjustable per species, per se. Generally, once you have things set up & balanced originally, the only tweaking involved may be when basking or UVB bulbs get changed (and often no further tweaking required). YMMV.

Exceptions might be for folks with substantial swings in climate that aren't controlled by the central HVAC plant.

I have a thermostatically-controlled muffin fan on my beardie box that I got from https://www.coolerguys.com/
They have all the hardware you might need, and assistance in getting the right stuff for your application.
I'd like to build something that recreates the exact levels found in the specific locale, I even thought about connect it in real time to the forecast, but after some brainstorming I figured that if any catastrophe would ever happen (you never know) I wouldn't want the same to happen in my enclosure.

I'm collecting data about 2021's forecast in Madagascar year-round to be able to have it as a standard and mimic the fluctuation throughout the seasons.

The actual idea is to be able to set temps and humidity to meet the requirements of different species from different locales.

Inkbird do them not a recommendation mind i haven't used it personally, was researching into one before getting a mistking.
Was also looking at programming a couple of raspberry pi i have laying around to make one which is likely similar to what i think these start ups are doing.
Also hydroponics stores might be worth checking out especially for hygro-controllers

I'd like to build something that recreates the exact levels found in the specific locale, I even thought about connect it in real time to the forecast, but after some brainstorming I figured that if any catastrophe would ever happen (you never know) I wouldn't want the same to happen in my enclosure.

I'm collecting data about 2021's forecast in Madagascar year-round to be able to have it as a standard and mimic the fluctuation throughout the seasons.

The actual idea is to be able to set temps and humidity to meet the requirements of different species from different locales.
This might not be the best time to mimic Madagascar... they're in the midst of a cyclone.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mad...HROMANMQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1024&bih=625&dpr=1

Missus told me about it yesterday, and felt guilty that her first thoughts were about the chameleons rather than the people. She had a mental image of them getting whipped around in the treetops. I assured her they'd probably just climb lower for cover/shelter, and reminded her that they're surviving Florida, so I think most will make out fine.

Inkbird do them not a recommendation mind i haven't used it personally, was researching into one before getting a mistking.
Was also looking at programming a couple of raspberry pi i have laying around to make one which is likely similar to what i think these start ups are doing.
Also hydroponics stores might be worth checking out especially for hygro-controllers
I think that's an excellent idea. Ditto Arduino, like the DIY UVI meters.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...HTZdCUMQ8BYoAXoECAIQMw&biw=1024&bih=625&dpr=1

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there's any way to control temperature and humidity without having to adjust lamps and misters manually.

More specifically an automated regulator that could be set for a specific species.

I've seen the "environmental control center" for sale but I can't find a detailed review. I was thinking about building one with some engineer friends, but I'd like to know if there's anything that does it already that I could purchase.

Does anyone ever had something similar? Or have a feedback on the environmental control center?
I use a herpstat for basking... They also have the option to use it for humidity. I do not since you do not want to be misting or fogging all day.

But I love the feature for basking. Even just between summer to winter months. I always know that the basking is exactly where it should be. It auto dims the basking fixture. I think people forget that when the ambient temp kicks up the basking can get hotter then you actually want it. So with this it is never a concern.

Back
Top Bottom