Thermoregulation in some chameleons...

This is fascinating information @kinyonga ! Thank you so much for this! Since eliotii is one of the 6 species studied, I’ve shared the link with a friend who breeds this species.

Had you been born circa 1500-1700 ce, your prodigious skill at digging up these obscure papers would have been seen as witchcraft…it really is magic, K! Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, I could only get the first link to load; there was some kind of security issue with the second.

The first referenced African chameleons. Did any of the articles reference panthers?

https://www.bluechameleon.org/Ferguson, Gary - panther research plan.htm
"On sunny days they behaviorally adjust their body temperature to about 30 degrees C, but on overcast days they carry out their activities with a body temperature that closely matches that of their surroundings."

These spectacular animals are large (males up to 18 or more inches in length)
Ibid.
Gypped again! :mad:
Ol' Stinkeye was supposed to be 24"... he's 18"
Now this says Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants is supposed to be 18" or more... he's... hold da phone... 15"-16" (and wiggly).

Ya think if I put him in a larger enclosure, he'll grow to fill it like a goldfish? :p

Gary Ferguson... as in Ferguson zones? I guess so! :)
https://www.reptilecentre.com/blog/...e-creator-of-ferguson-zones-dr-gary-ferguson/

Really interesting article. Thx again.

Either slightly OT or thread drift...

In reading the article about Gary Ferguson (above), I got to link chasing, and found—according to some related articles on Ferguson zones—all three of our reptiles (bearded dragon, panther chameleon, western Hermann's tortoise) are allegedly in the same Ferguson zone—Zone 3.

So I'm wondering about all the stuff I read (in another forum & elsewhere, and have been raising my beardie by) that said I should be using a 10.0/12% UVB, while the other two have 5.0/6% UVBs. :unsure:

I always used a reptisun 5.0 on my beardies.
I used the 5.0's on my leopard geckos too....if that matters at all.

IDK, but I bought 2 extra 10.0s two years ago when I got Stinkeye, and the first is still at full strength (via Solarmeter). Now I'm thinking about re-researching and maybe pulling the reflector out of the fixture, and then maybe selling the spares...

Back
Top Bottom