Thermometer Help ! Puhlease oh Pulease

wsidepinoy

What is the best thermometer to get ? or the most accurate ?

I have two thermometers and one hygrometer

now the one I have is one near the cage opening and its usually low reading of 65-70 f

and i have one in the basking area which is usually 90-98f

(female velied)

ive read your supposed to have a gradient of temperatures for the chameleon and this is what im providing (trying).

i came into my house today and the basking spot showed to be 80 degrees...and it was NEVER that cold and it wasnt even that cold in my house today...now i DO have a basking SPOT lamp...should i change it to a general light ? also it is a 100w Basking spot lamp...

the thermometers I have are the petco ones with the small arms...i was thinking of getting the zoo med probe digital one...i need opinions on a solid digital meter !

and i have a basking lamp and a uvb lamp...is that all i need or should i have one heat lamp (low watts) and basking lamp (slightly higher) and a uvb lamp ?

any suggestions would GREATLY be appreciated !

what species of chameleon do you have? and how old.depending on what you have 90 to 98 degrees sounds a little high.

i have a female veiled cham...

i read somewhere that the basking spot of 90-95 is fine...not the entire cage but one spot...ala basking spot

I use 50w PAR20 Flood lamps for my basking areas. I angle the lamps so that they don't point straight down. This helps reduce the risk of burn and is more 'natural' since chameleons general bask during early morning sun and late afternoon sun.... when the sun is shining at an angle, not straight down. A female veiled should be kept around mid to upper 80's I think... maybe low 90s... They can take mid 90s but it doesn't mean they NEED it....

IMG_1348.jpg

I use 50w PAR20 Flood lamps for my basking areas. I angle the lamps so that they don't point straight down. This helps reduce the risk of burn and is more 'natural' since chameleons general bask during early morning sun and late afternoon sun.... when the sun is shining at an angle, not straight down. A female veiled should be kept around mid to upper 80's I think... maybe low 90s... They can take mid 90s but it doesn't mean they NEED it....

IMG_1348.jpg

ahhh lol that does make sense...well what i did was raise the lamp too, about 6 inches away from the cage and temp dropped to 84-88 f

my electric bill isnt too much though lol

last month (before chameleon) was 68 dollars LOL in northern california...and that was including gas

NorCal? lol and you want to waste power? hahaha I am kidding.. but yeah.. I try to keep my wattages down if I can... I have several chams and they can't all have 100w lamps.... i'd be pretty broke lol

oh yeah thats completely understandable LOL

my girl gets spoiled ! although she hides from me alot :( im not a big giant thats gonna bite her head off, my name is not ozzy !

im gonna see how the 100w lamp is going, i had a 75w bulb but it was STILL too cold (75-80f) sitting on top of the screen ! LOL

Please get a digital thermometer with a probe-those analog dial style thermometers are not effective in measuring a basking temp. You should have a basking spot of 80-85 for a female Veiled.

Please get a digital thermometer with a probe-those analog dial style thermometers are not effective in measuring a basking temp. You should have a basking spot of 80-85 for a female Veiled.

thank you ! thats what i was under the assumption of...

petco to grab reptisafe and digital thermometer after work !

thank you !!!

I would check out Lowe's for their in/outdoor digital thermometers... They sell a nice one for about $14 that does humidity and has a probe on a wire you can place in the basking spot for basking temp and you can get ambient room temp off the main display. It will also tell you min/max temps and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom