Thermobia domestica (Firebrats) as CuC and feeder

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone used Thermobia domestica before as feeders for small chameleons or even as members for the cleanup crew? Just ordered a box of them and read interesting things about them being very nutritious, high in protein.

Also an interesting read about feeders (in English) https://www.madcham.de/en/futtertiere/

Screenshot 2021-06-02 122125.jpg

Last edited:
I've wondered about them and silverfish(I believe firebrats are a type of silverfish).I have a silverfish colony that popped up in a roach bin in my garage. The warmth/humidity+egg flats attracts them. They seem like they'd be a nice option for small animals.

Another one to consider if they don't freak you out too much, earwigs... every summer an earwig colony makes home in the large feeder 'trough' I use for my chams outdoor enclosure.

I've wondered about them and silverfish(I believe firebrats are a type of silverfish).I have a silverfish colony that popped up in a roach bin in my garage. The warmth/humidity+egg flats attracts them. They seem like they'd be a nice option for small animals.

Another one to consider if they don't freak you out too much, earwigs... every summer an earwig colony makes home in the large feeder 'trough' I use for my chams outdoor enclosure.
Keep the earwigs in mind 👍🏻

They’re related to silverfish indeed, however silverfish can become a plague inside home and firebrats don’t, at least that how they advertise it. Just need some feeder diversity for K. Boehmei.

Regarding earwigs...do you think they will pinch the chameleon with their pinchers to defend themselves against being eaten?
Sure given the chance, but they are soft and quickly die. The pinch is also no harder than a hornworms bite(much less I'd bet). Or superworms. Or a bee/wasp sting. Heck even crickets and roaches can bite. It wouldn't be enough to do damage. People use them and termites as feeders for different animals

Keep the earwigs in mind 👍🏻

They’re related to silverfish indeed, however silverfish can become a plague inside home and firebrats don’t, at least that how they advertise it. Just need some feeder diversity for K. Boehmei.
I've heard of silverfish being a problem, but I personally never witnessed it or heard about it here in Pennsylvania. Maybe certain species? We have them all over here(PA is humid and known for damp basements). I only find them congregating around moisture, rotten wood, etc.

Back
Top Bottom