There is this red piece of something in my chameleons stool should i be concerned

Hunter420

There’s a red piece of something i cannot tell what it is maybe you guys can. Should i be concerned?
image.jpg

I’ve never seen anything like this. Could it be parasites? Should i wait till his next stool to see if it happens again. He eats good tho and everything idk what could be wrong

Hello,

Did you throw the poop away? Any "weird-looking" poop should be bagged and taken to the vet asap. It could be a number of things.

I took a look at your past threads and I noticed you did not fill out the how to ask for help form. I'll copy and paste it below -- I would highly suggest you fill it out in as much detail as possible. Sounds like you've already gotten help from some of the most knowledgeable members here and they could help you really dial in your husbandry.

So -- while you (hopefully) wait to take the poop to the vet -- if you can please fill this out:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I totally agree with @AnamCara about filling out the form above and if you get another sample taking it to the vet. Unless you are feeding all hornworms to cause a loose stool then I would suspect a possible parasite. As for the red... Looks like a bit of blood. If it was a firm stool I would say it sat in the digestive track too long between stools and that is why your seeing a bit of red. But since it is that loose again put a fresh fecal in a plastic baggy and take into a reptile vet that day to be tested. While some parasites are easy to medicate and treat some are not. It is better to be cautious when dealing with an abnormal stool IMO.

I totally agree with @AnamCara about filling out the form above and if you get another sample taking it to the vet. Unless you are feeding all hornworms to cause a loose stool then I would suspect a possible parasite. As for the red... Looks like a bit of blood. If it was a firm stool I would say it sat in the digestive track too long between stools and that is why your seeing a bit of red. But since it is that loose again put a fresh fecal in a plastic baggy and take into a reptile vet that day to be tested. While some parasites are easy to medicate and treat some are not. It is better to be cautious when dealing with an abnormal stool IMO.
I feed all sorts of feeders including hornworms, waxworks, mealworms, and crickets.

Hello,

Did you throw the poop away? Any "weird-looking" poop should be bagged and taken to the vet asap. It could be a number of things.

I took a look at your past threads and I noticed you did not fill out the how to ask for help form. I'll copy and paste it below -- I would highly suggest you fill it out in as much detail as possible. Sounds like you've already gotten help from some of the most knowledgeable members here and they could help you really dial in your husbandry.

So -- while you (hopefully) wait to take the poop to the vet -- if you can please fill this out:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Let me fill it out

Hello,

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
My chameleon- veiled chameleon male, been in my care about a couple months, not sure of age.
Handling- about 1-2 times a month
Feeding- i feel mealworms not so often, wax worms, crickets and hornworms. Once in the morning about 5-7 crickets and in the afternoon 5-6 crickets and 1 wax worm. Yesterday i fed him 3 waxworms. This may be the cause of the bad stool.
Suppliments- always use calcium. 1-2 a month d3 and vitamins all zoomed products
Watering- i mist often 2 daily plus he had a misting system. I spray him down with water sometimes.
Stool- always had normal stools, until this one. A good white irate and a good brown always until today morning never tested for parasites
Extra info- i got him from petsmart i know i shouldn’t have but i did. And i don’t have the heart to sell him or give him away just cause he’s from a pet store. I love him very much
Cage- zoomed reptibreeze kit 16x16x 28 i think
Lighting- double dome. Uvb, and basking bulb 75w. On all day and turn of at night
Temps- about 80 to 90 basking and 70 at the bottom the lowest the temp is at night is 70
Humidity- 80% and i have a fogged i have a humidity gauge
Plants- used to have a parlor palm but it was a mess to i took it out plus he never munched on it or climbed on it now i just gave fake plants Ik attach pictures when I’m home
I live in El Paso Texas

Back
Top Bottom