There and Back Again, A Cozamalotl Tale.

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Story time, and maybe this can help someone else some day.

So about three weeks ago I noticed my 2 1/2 year old female Panther Chameleon Cozamalotl was not looking right. She was skinny, but she's always been a little small and otherwise was eating normally and drinking fine. Crawling around and not acting strange. Just kinda skinny. Fast forward a week to Sept 19th and I found her hanging from her tail. (for context, my recently departed Mona was hanging from her tail and quickly declined, resulting in having to put her down because of retained eggs from her last lay, that was July 31st.)

Being so close to what happened to Mona I knew something was wrong. I placed her back on a branch and went to prepare the carrier to get her to the vet. When I came back in the room minutes later, she was hanging by her tail again.
20210919_161455.jpg

As you can see, she didn't look great and had a poorly done partial shed.

I called my vet, the wonderful Dr. Dayna Willems in Aurora, CO. (Im located an hour away in Longmont.) The next day Dr. Dayna was able to see her as an emergency visit.

At the vet Coza was very lethartic, dehydrated and not moving around. She just sat in Dr.'s hands. Using their in-house lab Dr. Dayna was able to determine her liver showed some abnormalities and wanted to send off the blood to have her white cell count measured. Before the white cell count, Dr. Dayna wanted to put her on a course of antibiotics. She prescribed 0.03ml of Metronidazole, and gave her sub cutaneous fluids.

20211004_153811.jpg

I once I got home I made the dreaded hospital bin and settled Coza in.

20210921_135442.jpg

Couple of days later the white cell count showed she had an infection, likely in her liver. Antibiotics was the right choice.

The first week wasn't great. While she was eating, she wasn't drinking and was lethargic. She wouldn't move from the same spot in her bin, her tongue didn't shoot very far and had seemed to lose it's "stickiness".

Screenshot_20211004-150109_WhatsApp.jpg

Every day I removed her from the bin, put her in a kritter carrier, and fed her a small worm while I tried to sneak the less than a drop of medicine in her mouth.

20211004_154359.jpg

(That black line is how much meds to give her. A seriously small amount.)

Every day she got the worm, the meds, and at least 3-4 hours of natural sunshine, and plenty of misting / water dripping. At night I fogged the he** out of her bin. I took half days working from home just to sit outside with her.

One week in and her little grip was getting stronger, she was eating bigger worms and seemed more hydrated. Her once semi-sunken eyes were nice and round again. She still wasn't moveing around very much, but the vet and I were cautiously optimistic.

Second week she showed some real improvement. Looked so much better. Ate really well and starting exploring her bin more.

These past few days has been a real turn around. She's eating, drinking, had a nice healthy poop with good looking urate. She even started getting annoyed when I would handle her. (As we all know, chameleons should be about 60% pure spite 😂)

Today was her follow up and I'm so pleased to say she is almost 100% better. The Doctor was very happy to see she was crawling everywhere, how improved her grip was, and even said she could go back into her enclosure and ditch the bin! She was so active at the vet that at one point she DARTED onto my back and we both had to sit there waiting for the doctor to come back in the room so she could reach her and get her off of me.

20211004_130548.jpg

She has another week of antibiotics, and because of this I am not going to put her back in her enclosure quite yet. Her enclosure is heavily planted, and i fear it would be too hard to get her out every day and give her the meds. So, one more week of the bin. And then my girl gets to go home. I'm beyond excited.

I apologize in advance for any and all typos. I made this post on my phone so I could add pics.

Chams are hard, and decline so quickly. I'm so fortunate to have such a knowledgeable chameleon vet in my state who helped me nurse my girl back. I'm also thankful to @snitz427 @Beman and @JoXie411 for checking in and problem solving with me. We don't know how she got the infection, but at this point I'm just so glad Coza is feeling better.

Thanks for fighting, Coza, you're a real one.

Attachments

• 20210921_135442.jpg
    20210921_135442.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I’m sorry you’ve both gone thru this rough time and so very glad that she’s recovering. 💗 Thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes with even the very best care, things can happen.
Absolutely true. After Mona I was so sure she was going down the same path. Coza has never laid eggs so I was expecting the absolute worst.

She weighted 60 g yesterday. I'm trying to get her weight up a little bit, the infection took her down. She is also just small. Vet said that some girls are just smaller.

My panther girls are surprisingly much smaller looking than my veiled female. The panther seem "chunkier" or meatier than the veileds do, but the veileds are actually the largest of the crew by weight. I guess because they have the height going for them? IDK, but both of my panther girls are on the small side.

I love little coza. Glad she is on the mend!

Aftert three weeks of antibiotics, 4 hours of cleaning every inch of Coza's enclosure and misting system, re assemling her enclosure (had to take pieces of it out / apart for the hospital bin), I'm SO happy to say that little coconut is back home in her enclosure!

20211009_151813.jpg

Ignore the sad looking plants. I turned the mister off while she was in the hospital bin and, through the chaos, forgot to water them...they're Pothos so they will bounce back quickly.

20211009_151819.jpg

If you're in Colorado, make sure you try to see Dr. Dayna Willems at Aurora Animal Hospital for your chameleon needs. I could not have nursesd this total babe back without her.

Aftert three weeks of antibiotics, 4 hours of cleaning every inch of Coza's enclosure and misting system, re assemling her enclosure (had to take pieces of it out / apart for the hospital bin), I'm SO happy to say that little coconut is back home in her enclosure!

View attachment 312094

Ignore the sad looking plants. I turned the mister off while she was in the hospital bin and, through the chaos, forgot to water them...they're Pothos so they will bounce back quickly.

View attachment 312095

If you're in Colorado, make sure you try to see Dr. Dayna Willems at Aurora Animal Hospital for your chameleon needs. I could not have nursesd this total babe back without her.
So happy she is better and able to be back in her home! ❤️

Those plants will pop back to life in a few days. Glad Coza is back at it!! Keep her super well hydrated even after the antibiotics end, as they are tough on the kidneys. The extra hydration will help her flush the yuk!

She’s such a peach!

Those plants will pop back to life in a few days. Glad Coza is back at it!! Keep her super well hydrated even after the antibiotics end, as they are tough on the kidneys. The extra hydration will help her flush the yuk!

She’s such a peach!
Yup! I changed her misting schedule with a little more frequency and a little bit longer misting.

Update and some more useful information:

When coza was sick her tongue wasn't working properly. Not only could she not extend it but it had lost it's "stickiness." Vet said that was a weird side effect of sick chams, that she has seen that often. It's been almost two months and just in the past week would I say it's fully better. I've been cup feeding (which I usually do) but slowly over the last month pulling the cup more and more away from her. At first her aim wasn't great but this past week she seemed spot on again. Today I released some BSF into her enclosure and my happy girl nailed like 7, first try, full extend, in about 4 minutes. It took a while but her tongue is back in action!

Back
Top Bottom