The tip of my chameleon Casque has turned Gray

Darran

My Brother had to get rid of His chameleon and ive had Him for 2 days now, he set it up the way it was at his house and has had it for a year now without any problems, I put an extra branch in so he could climb and moved a vine so he could use that for climbing as well, He was active and seemed happy and is just getting over his shedding, he then come and sat on the vine right in front of the cage that is at middle height and hasn't moved since, His color hasn't change apart from the Tip of the Casque that has gone a gray color last night the temp dropped to 70 and is now back to 90 but he still wont move and looks like he just wants to sleep. im getting worried a little as last night he was rubbing his head in the mesh at the top where the light is and now its gone another color and just dosnt look right, any help please would be great, many thanks.

Pics and his casque(or any part of his body) should not touch the screen under the basking light.
Thanks Guys ive sussed it my brother had set the vine to high and thats why he was hitting his head, ive moved the vine now so hes not touching the top with his head, hes just wants to be out all the time and sits on top of my head and is now eating, so looks like hes settling in, just one point will his casque get better ? i feel so guilty for being thick and not seeing his high spot was to high.

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG0042(1).jpg
    IMAG0042(1).jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0044(1).jpg
    IMAG0044(1).jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 352
ya that may be a burn. you might visit a vet and verify. Once any damaged tissue starts to come off, applying Silvadene ointment may help. Depending how bad it is, he may loose some flesh. if he sloughs a significant amount, he may need antibiotic

If its not too bad, it should heal over time and be okay. With bad burns sometimes the area/tip will eventually fall off. If you feel he needs it, you can rub a little polysporin (non-pain relief kind) onto the burned area. Silvadene cream can help as well.

I would add more foliage and horizontal/diagonal branches/vines for him though. It looks a little sparse in there. Veileds will sometimes eat plants, so if you get him a live plant be sure it is safe for him to eat. I recommend pothos plants (a vine type plant,) dwarf umbrella plant/bush, or a ficus tree. Also, sometimes chameleons will eat substrate (on purpose or on accident) and it can cause intestinal blockages that may be life threatening. A lot of people prefer to keep the bottom clear and just use paper towels. Just something to consider.

I agree the enclosure is not well set-up. I looks more geared towards a ground lizard than a arboreal lizard.
add some horizontal branches. Add some real plants instead of the plastic
get rid of the log on the bottom.
consider a larger enclosure. Minimum recommended size for a veiled is 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 4 feet tall. adding more width or depth is better.

I agree the enclosure is not well set-up. I looks more geared towards a ground lizard than a arboreal lizard.
add some horizontal branches.

I agree with Sandra. You've set up a hot spot rather than a thermal gradient for your lizard. Hot spots cause burns. You want several branches under your heat lamp at various distances from near to far so your lizard can slowly adjust body temperature by moving around and selecting from moment to moment, which causes heating up and cooling of the lizard to occur more gradually. When there is a single branch with a hot spot, the lizard is forced to choose the temp on the branch under the hot spot or the cooler temp off the hot spot. It creates burns because the lizard uses it's core temperature to thermoregulate- not it's surface temperature. So it sits burning the tip of it's casque while it tries to warm it's core. With many options it will select a warm location that will not cause burns and once it achieves desired temperature it will slowly adjust by moving a little closer or further- it won't have to only choose hot or cold, on or off.

Larger cages are much easier to provide this. Meanwhile- better a little to cool than a little to hot especially short term- lower your basking wattage or move your lamp away from the cage some.

ya that may be a burn. you might visit a vet and verify. Once any damaged tissue starts to come off, applying Silvadene ointment may help. Depending how bad it is, he may loose some flesh. if he sloughs a significant amount, he may need antibiotic
Yes i agree, i seen it but wasnt sure, he put the plant to high and by all the info he has burnt his head, i agree and im getting a small umbrella and ill take the log out and give more climbing space, i do see that he needs a high space and would love a bigger home for him, by the looks of it it will be sooner then later as although ive burn his head that i blame on my Brother lol !! ive seen a great personality in him and he knocks on his door to come out and drinks from a bole on the floor and will just chill on my head, ill keep a close eye on his head, i feel so daft for not sussing it, Thanks for the advice and as daft as it sounds would gemerine help or a Zinc Base oil to coat the casque ? Just a thought, but thanks for your reply

I agree with Sandra. You've set up a hot spot rather than a thermal gradient for your lizard. Hot spots cause burns. You want several branches under your heat lamp at various distances from near to far so your lizard can slowly adjust body temperature by moving around and selecting from moment to moment, which causes heating up and cooling of the lizard to occur more gradually. When there is a single branch with a hot spot, the lizard is forced to choose the temp on the branch under the hot spot or the cooler temp off the hot spot. It creates burns because the lizard uses it's core temperature to thermoregulate- not it's surface temperature. So it sits burning the tip of it's casque while it tries to warm it's core. With many options it will select a warm location that will not cause burns and once it achieves desired temperature it will slowly adjust by moving a little closer or further- it won't have to only choose hot or cold, on or off.

Larger cages are much easier to provide this. Meanwhile- better a little to cool than a little to hot especially short term- lower your basking wattage or move your lamp away from the cage some.

Thanks yep i can see your point, More runs for him and ill clear the floor but i can see he could do with a larger cage, hes out a lot so he just seems to use it to eat and chill, then he wants to be out again ? his head isnt touching the top no more and seems more happy thank god.

Glass cage is a prob
Thanks Guys ive sussed it my brother had set the vine to high and thats why he was hitting his head, ive moved the vine now so hes not touching the top with his head, hes just wants to be out all the time and sits on top of my head and is now eating, so looks like hes settling in, just one point will his casque get better ? i feel so guilty for being thick and not seeing his high spot was to high.

Back
Top Bottom