The patience game

Mansfield

Established Member
Hi All!
so, I’m looking for small amount of advice on my little guy Percival.
B6EC913C-2FBA-4D9B-BB96-76EA48932378.jpeg

He’s 5 months old now, and I’ve had him a little over a month. I have only attempted to take him out of his enclosure a few times in that month and the results are......well, let’s just say he hates my guts hahaha.
I have many layers to my strategy to just get him used to me and his surroundings. He is in my home office, which I work in maybe twice a week, other than that he has the room to himself. It’s a quiet room for sure. There are stretches of time that I will just sit in a lounge chair in his room and read, with him eyeing me cautiously. Again, I am just trying to get him used to my presence. other days I’ll even just open the doors to the enclosure and put something he could climb out on and he doesn’t even come close to wanting out lol. The one time I took him out, I made sure to let him get some direct sunlight for a bit, in an attempt to make the experience somewhat enjoyable to him. He seemed to respond well to the sun, but definitely never relaxed or let his guard down. Today I reached (very slowly) to put my hand near him and he BOLTED! He basically runs like a frilled dragon away from me.
So, my main question is this, do I just keep doing the small things I’m doing and be patient, or just accept that he just has this as his personality? Just to be clear, I’m fine with either, I just don’t want to risk his health or the potential to make him turn from running scared to aggressive. I’m not necessarily trying to “tame” him, just get him occasional direct sun or exploration time.
Oh! At this point all of the threads I have read suggest this would be the age that Vit A could become very beneficial, but the delivery and exact way to provide it seems very much in flux, so I haven’t made any attempt yet, not to mention I am terrified of overdosing him because I don’t know what I’m doing with it. Currently, I use repashy plus LoD lightly dusted on every feeder, every day, with feeders being gutloaded on repashy big burger and bee pollen, that’s it (plus the occasional fresh veggie, but I’ll admit it’s not that often and I usually just end up removing shriveled scraps from the feeder cage every time since they don’t seem to eat it, but the big burger will be gone).
Anyway, thanks for any advice in advance!

Just keep doing what you're doing. Took 5 months of doing exactly what you're doing before my panther came out on his own. I'd also try incentivize with food. Some chams are more food driven than others, but hornworms did the trick for my guy. Superworms are also a crowd favorite.

I don't use additional Vitamin A supplements or Repashy so I'm not going to comment on those questions.

Back
Top Bottom