The Parson chameleon. Care and needs simplified.

hi! amazing information! I have one question, how long do you think a chameleon keeper should wait or do research prior to getting a parsons chameleon?

hi! amazing information! I have one question, how long do you think a chameleon keeper should wait or do research prior to getting a parsons chameleon?
As long as you have the appropriate cage for the size parson’s you are getting and have the right lights, misting system, branching, plants and drainage then go for it. I’ve had lots of customers that bought their first parson’s from me and did fantastic with them. Not everyone understands chameleon care but if you have the right information you can be successful.

As long as you have the appropriate cage for the size parson’s you are getting and have the right lights, misting system, branching, plants and drainage then go for it. I’ve had lots of customers that bought their first parson’s from me and did fantastic with them. Not everyone understands chameleon care but if you have the right information you can be successful.
Would you say it's much harder then a panther? Not the actual set up but the chameleon overall. Also do you mean they bought a Parsons as their first cham? People told me to wait 10 years but I really want one in a few years or maybe less...

Would you say it's much harder then a panther? Not the actual set up but the chameleon overall. Also do you mean they bought a Parsons as their first cham? People told me to wait 10 years but I really want one in a few years or maybe less...
People like me are telling you to wait because you are young and brand new to chameleons... Your entire world could very easily change in the next few years if you go to college or if you move out on your own.

People like me are telling you to wait because you are young and brand new to chameleons...
People like me are telling you to wait because you are young and brand new to chameleons... Your entire world could very easily change in the next few years if you go to college or if you move out on your own.
True! But I have been loving and caring for reptiles for a few years! I know that's nothing compared to you guys but I think I will try and have in the future :)

True! But I have been loving and caring for reptiles for a few years! I know that's nothing compared to you guys but I think I will try and have in the future :)
I’ve been keeping Chamaeleons since the 80’s that’s when I first decided I was going to have a Parsons one day . I just acquired one last year . to be honest I still don’t feel I am worthy . it’s not about you it’s about the animal . there such a gift it’s not fair to the population unless you’ve done a ton of research and are willing to help give back financially before you to acquire one stick with the more an expensive species . Let the most experienced keepers help grow the population .. just to give you an idea my one chameleon cage and animal set Up ran me around $8000 feeding water and supplements run me around $ 300 a month not counting vet visits ..

like @Action Jackson said they’re not really any harder, they’re just different and require a good bit of resources(water, space, food, etc). For most animals I’m more of a believer in preparation/research/understanding/funding than having ‘x’ amount of years before moving on to the next. The only time I really see that as being necessary is with animals that might be dangerous… like knowing a smaller species of monitor lizards body language before moving on to a water monitor or another huge species that could seriously injure or even kill someone if read wrong. Another case could be with extremely sensitive species that can go downhill fast without quick recognition and action.

With parsons, space and water is a huge hurdle. I was misting my guy around an hour a day. I had to drain water into my back yard. I had tons of huge colonies to feed, these guys can easily eat a couple dozen crickets or several large roaches in a day. Maybe my watering was a little excessive, IDK how others do it, but my guy wouldn’t start drinking(and he only drank by opening his mouth in the mist, never drippers or even off leaves) until 25-30 min of non stop mist. He also seemed to appreciate the heavy water and the densely planted bioactive enclosure.

@Beman like she said, they’re a big commitment and as a young person you’ll probably have a hard time keeping it for the lifespan. Moving around and such, school, etc… I had to rehome mine from moving and I’m 31. Made the choice to not get another until I’m in my forever house.

like @Action Jackson said they’re not really any harder, they’re just different and require a good bit of resources(water, space, food, etc). For most animals I’m more of a believer in preparation/research/understanding/funding than having ‘x’ amount of years before moving on to the next. The only time I really see that as being necessary is with animals that might be dangerous… like knowing a smaller species of monitor lizards body language before moving on to a water monitor or another huge species that could seriously injure or even kill someone if read wrong. Another case could be with extremely sensitive species that can go downhill fast without quick recognition and action.

With parsons, space and water is a huge hurdle. I was misting my guy around an hour a day. I had to drain water into my back yard. I had tons of huge colonies to feed, these guys can easily eat a couple dozen crickets or several large roaches in a day. Maybe my watering was a little excessive, IDK how others do it, but my guy wouldn’t start drinking(and he only drank by opening his mouth in the mist, never drippers or even off leaves) until 25-30 min of non stop mist. He also seemed to appreciate the heavy water and the densely planted bioactive enclosure.

@Beman like she said, they’re a big commitment and as a young person you’ll probably have a hard time keeping it for the lifespan. Moving around and such, school, etc… I had to rehome mine from moving and I’m 31. Made the choice to not get another until I’m in my forever house.
yeah i guess ill stick to my amazing panther! im moving in about 8 months to a really big house so hopefully ill increase my reptile collection lol, thanks for the feedback!

The Parson chameleon is not harder than a Panther to keep. They have different requirements than a Panther, and that means the actual set up is different. If the animal is set up properly, fed properly, and cared for properly, they will do well. They are not a delicate flower of a species, and instead like a Panther they are pretty hardy ............ but only if set up properly and more importantly SET UP PROPERLY FROM THE START.

If you can set up the Parson correctly from the start, and afford the animal's price tag of what... $1500+, that's your call. However let me give you a metric to work with as a first time chameleon keeper. If you can keep a Panther chameleon alive for 4-5 years you might be ready for something like a Parson. Despite that, you will still need to adapt to the different habits and needs of a chameleon different from your Panther. My original post on this animal still stands. You decide if you can meet the needs of the animals. It is very nice to see that after all these years this oringial post has remained helpful. I'm going back to my cave now.

Attachments

• Cave house.jpg
    Cave house.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 77
I just want to thank you for this
thread it has been my go to since I’ve been keeping Parsons , I literally have a copy of it pin to my notes . I think it’s as relative today as it was the day you wrote it .

Great 😑 why are you always the voice of reason .. dammit Bill now I have to question all my reasoning !!! If you would just put out a Parsons care sheet I wouldn’t be having these issues 😂😂😂(I bet you knew that was coming, as if I have an asked you before)
Not to worry, I am sure malevolent AI bots enjoy keeping Parson's too. So the advice is solid. But, as for the true identity of this cave "being", I have it narrowed down to AI bot, Yeti, or Batman. The investigation is ongoing.

Or, there is the very real possibility that I and Bill are one and the same. Think on this, maybe I've used my alter ego here to promote myself and my brand!!!
But who is this guy, really? Has anyone ever actually seen @OldChamKeeper ? Can you be sure he is not just an AI bot?

Not to worry, I am sure malevolent AI bots enjoy keeping Parson's too. So the advice is solid. But, as for the true identity of this cave "being", I have it narrowed down to AI bot, Yeti, or Batman. The investigation is ongoing.

Back
Top Bottom