The next best training method?

Casperr

I'm not sure if this has been thought of before, but I kind of accidentally figured it out, so I just wanted to share it with people.

I noticed that when my sister, my dad, or my mom try to handle Zed, he huffs up and hisses.
But when I handle him he's totally cool with me.
I finally realized what was going on:
Every time I hand-feed him, I wear a blue rubber glove.
Every time I give him water, it's with a blue spray bottle.
Every time I take him outside for sunlight, I'm wearing the blue glove.

But when I don't have the glove on, he hisses at me as well.

Could it be that he started to associate the color blue with food, water, and fresh air?
Can color-coding be the next best training method for chameleons?

Tell me some facts & opinions, I think I might be on to something. :cool:

Sounds interesting. Chameleons obviously are color sensitive. But I don't know if I would want to have to wear a blue glove everytime I handled my chameleon. But since mine in only a baby male vieled and he has only tried climbing my finger once, my opinion is by far from expert.

You know chameleons are display animals right?

They are not dogs that you "handle or pet".

Moving them outside on nice days is one thing but playing with your chameleon isn't a good idea for the chameleons sake.

I dont know if you are talking to me, but ya I kinda knew this and figured it out. I think eventually my baby cham wont mind my touch eventually. Not that I would want to hold him hella much but I hope that he wont mind chilling with me.

I'm very aware that they're display animals. I put a lot of time, work, and money into keeping Zed healthy and happy. But sometimes I just like to take him outside and let him run around in the grass for a little bit; he turns beautiful colors when I do that.

My guy does the exact same thing, except it seems to work with any color glove, so it def could be the color thing since you said he does good with blue shirts and bottles. It mag be that mine just rather be handled with something other than human contact. I dont see any problem with you handling and hand feeding a bit like you said. Especially since many many owners on here have seen that occasional handling yields positive results in the attitude of the animal. I used to think the same way about them being display animals in all, but now believe that it can be done if it is done responsibly and kept to a minimum. Like if you see that the animal is over stressed than go ahead and leave him alone. Be smart about it and force nothing. I think you could potentially see some positive results!

I've been handling mine since he was a tiny baby and as long as you do it slowly and respect when they are getting stressed and have tons of patience, in the long run it won't stress them to see people or when you have to clean or feed them. IMHO. Mine actually "begs" to come out now and will crawl out on his own onto my hand and arm. You just have to be mindful that they are sensitive, and again...lots of patience! lol:p

My chameleon only lets me pick him up when I'm wearing a grey purple and green striped robe. I guess color association is a way of training. :)

You know chameleons are display animals right?

They are not dogs that you "handle or pet".

Moving them outside on nice days is one thing but playing with your chameleon isn't a good idea for the chameleons sake.

Thats only true on their personality. And species. Rex my big boy loves going outside, sleeping on my bed, and loves to come out of his cage. You were a glove? You only need a glove for oustie talons... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom