The mostly silkworm diet

Dez

Chamalot Chameleons
Hello

We have a female carpet chameleon in our collection that has a mouth/tongue injury.

We had ordered her and when she came in the mail she was very very gravid (we did not know she would be) Anyway as the weeks went on she got very sick and possable eggbound. I thought for sure she would not pull thro. We began to syringe feed her reptiaide

One day I came home to find she had scattered 30 or so eggs. We continued to syringe feed her and she eventually got stronger.

During this time of her being on deaths door and her slow recovery she somehow injured her tongue and bottom lip. Im not sure how this happened.

She can not shoot her tongue anymore and catches food by walking up to it and biting whatever it is.

We have been cup feeding her small crickets with their back legs taken off so they can not get away from her.
She eats the crickets sometimes but ALWAYS goes after the silkworms as soon as we out them in there.

So my question is: How healthy is it to have silkworms as the main diet food when they are only gut loaded with fresh mulberry leaves? At the moment she eats more silkworms than crickets.

Silkworms are very good for chams!

I wouldn't worry about it....But would still offer her a good variety! :D

Goodluck

I have two chameleons (rescues) that only get soft feeders for the time being, silkworms and hornworms. Both are not in great condition, they suffered severe MBD. But it helps keep them excited about food and will keep their weight up.

You can supplement with minerals mixed in water and use a syringe or pipette to offer it to her. I really like the pipettes.

Hello

We have a female carpet chameleon in our collection that has a mouth/tongue injury.

We had ordered her and when she came in the mail she was very very gravid (we did not know she would be) Anyway as the weeks went on she got very sick and possable eggbound. I thought for sure she would not pull thro. We began to syringe feed her reptiaide

One day I came home to find she had scattered 30 or so eggs. We continued to syringe feed her and she eventually got stronger.

During this time of her being on deaths door and her slow recovery she somehow injured her tongue and bottom lip. Im not sure how this happened.

She can not shoot her tongue anymore and catches food by walking up to it and biting whatever it is.

We have been cup feeding her small crickets with their back legs taken off so they can not get away from her.
She eats the crickets sometimes but ALWAYS goes after the silkworms as soon as we out them in there.

So my question is: How healthy is it to have silkworms as the main diet food when they are only gut loaded with fresh mulberry leaves? At the moment she eats more silkworms than crickets.

Back
Top Bottom