The Dude abides - my little veiled is wonderful!

Twitchet

Chameleon Enthusiast
I had to share this- I got this little veiled on Monday- I'm so pleased I am lucky enough to have him, within 2 hours he had fed from my fingers, he's eating all his meals from my fingers since then, I tried him with some rocket and here's the result.
I couldnt believe it- Nothing phases him and I'm quite in love.
He is the most characterful charming little chap- he was from the Hamm expo so bred by a breeder- but it's like he's been handled from day one he is so laid back, which I'm sure couldn't of been the case.
As a result of him being SO chilled ( o.k at the moment- when he hits chameleon puberty that may be a different story) i'm calling him 'The Dude' - or duder or el duderino !! :ROFLMAO: ( I am a Coen brothers fan ! )

Hey Twitchet he's not your only little one right? I am so glad you found such a lovable little veiled. In my opinion with the puberty thing it can set you back for sure, but as long as you keep trying I definitely feel you can make up most if not all lost ground with almost any chameleons. The problem is most people stop trying.

Hey Andee- He's my first and only veiled- but I had my xanth from 2 grams old, This guy is about 7".
I really don't mind if the grumps takes him,:) I kind of let them all decide if they want to come out for a stroll or not- The parsons tolerate handling , the xanth sometimes decides to come towards me for a wander around on my hands -other times he's happy just chilling, The panther comes out when he asks which is 2-3 times a day so I'm o.k they are all different. From what I've heard I'm prepared for the Dude to change but he will be who he will be i guess, i'll definitely keep working with him as much as i can, just for ease of caring, feeding and cleaning a calmer one is certainly better for him and me, at the moment he's my little sweetheart who can't put a zygodactyl wrong.:)

Hi all, yes I haven't actually even tried to handle him yet as he's so new here, just taking it slow and sticking to hand feeding and just resting my hand near him, which is way more advanced that I thought it would be, he's so calm despite coming from Hamm on the beginning on December, then back to the reptile shop then onto me. I'll give it a few weeks then see how I go, it will be nice to be able to have some handling sessions.
It's quite a novelty for me to have a chameleon .. I mean ..a chameleon! Hello? ..that eats veg and fruit, it's just so weird!
Thank all:)

So now gradually increasing interaction- now he needs to walk onto my hand to get nom noms- he's such a greedy piglet that as soon as he sees my hand with something to eat he rushes over and my hand is flat out in this path so he happily walks onto my hand yo feed- it's almost like once he's eaten he thinks 'oh where am I?' and walks off again but immediately the next food item is offered he's back- seems like a nice way to introduce handling.
See how beautiful he is !!!!

You're quite lucky to have such a daredevil... My panther only takes food from my hand if I hold it close and wouldn't think of moving on my hand.
My jax just doesn't give a damn about treats.

You're quite lucky to have such a daredevil... My panther only takes food from my hand if I hold it close and wouldn't think of moving on my hand.
My jax just doesn't give a damn about treats.
Wow @Remkon . You've got some grumps over there. Maybe you should stoke up the fire in your cave a little bit. They're probably cold. :confused::LOL:

Wow @Remkon . You've got some grumps over there. Maybe you should stoke up the fire in your cave a little bit. They're probably cold. :confused::LOL:
Nah they are great animals and I can admire them from a distance...
They will let me take them from the enclosure so I can check their health so I try to do that once a week.

I can't spend to much time a day with my chameleons and so I have no desire of 'taming' them (for as far as it can be considered taming).
If they would have been more like @Twitchet 's veiled I would probably have put in more effort but I don't think my chameleons appreciate human interaction all that much so I will also not force it upon them.

My panther eats from the hand, that's good enough for me. :p

Thanks Andee, I like his blue polka dots on yellow background, very cute!
Yes Remkon, Same here , I don't mind too much if he doesn't want any more handling than this , it's totally on his terms as it is for all, my xanth feeds from my fingers but I rarely handle him, he will come to my hand and walk over it but it's not like the Panther who will romp around all day given the choice, but I know if I needed to handle them I could and they wouldn't be stressed which is great to know for health and weight checks, but it would upset me if anyone got very upset with handling, I hate to see them stressed.
So hopefully this guy will tolerate me and be relaxed when I'm around him. He's a really wonderful chap.
My xanth goes nuts for waxworm moths, does Wurma like them?
Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom