The chameleon with no name, a journey of love and patience (VERY PIC HEAVY).

MedicMan1

Established Member
Hey there everyone. I started a thread a while back in the Health Clinic section regarding advice on how to care for a Sambava Panther Chameleon that I rescued in somewhat rough shape. Long story short, I received some amazing advice and my little guy is now quite fat and happy. I wanted to switch gears and post a new thread all about him and his journey to health and happiness, without clogging up the Health Clinic section.

The story:

I was given this amazing creature on 12/15/16. His keeper didn't have time for him anymore, and frankly, was severely neglecting him. He was born in September of 2015 and came from Kammerflage, (son of VICTARION and TYENE, daughter of TAMERLANE), and the poor guy was way under size and weight when I got him. He had no live pants or functional cover in his cage, was not misted or fed for days at a time, and was extremely timid (sometimes aggressive). I went to meet the little dude after doing several days worth of research (I knew I was taking him ahead of time, and I had a veiled as a kid, so I was STOKED). I fell for the little bloke immediately. I was very concerned with his size, weight, and overall condition. He was just skinny, dehydrated, and ANGRY. According to the former keeper, he came out of the package a bit grumpy, so he never even attempted to socialize or acclimate him to interacting with humans. He went days at a time without any typer of care. I would be grumpy too.

I posted in the Health Clinic section and received some phenomenal advice, and talked to some extremely nice and caring people.

A month later, Mr. Chameleon is now MUCH fatter, MUCH healthier, and MUCH more active. He is eating, drinking, fattening up, and being a complete goofball (hanging upside down and looking through his legs, hanging out with crickets, cocking his head when being talked to). He just shed his skin and EXPLODED with color over the last week. He is becoming more curious and less aggressive, and will tolerate being handled for short periods of time, while making sure to huff and puff at me a bit.

His care (currently):
His current cage setup is much improved and will continue to approve. I have him in the medium Zoo Med cage that he came with, and have plans for a Large Dragon Strand Atrium and MistKing setup here shortly ( he is growing BIGTIME). He is being fed crickets, mealworms, wax worms, and Dubia roaches on a rotating and random schedule, all dusted with Repashy calcium plus. He is misted at least twice daily. He has a decent size pothos and a medium ficus in his cage. His UVA/UVB lights are on a power strip timer From Zoo Med (highly recommended), with sunrise at 8am and sunset at 8pm. He has a nighttime ceramic bulb that maintains temps in the high 60's to low 70's at night, and his lights keep an ambient around 80 in the daytime, with a basking spot of 85-90. With the plants and the regular misting, I am able to maintain a humidity of around 60% constantly. It spikes into the 70's after misting and drops into the 50's a few hours later.

Once I get the funds, his setup will be MUCH larger and much more finely controlled. For now, I would like you all to meat "The chameleon with no name". I have not named him yet, as I am waiting to find out what kind of personality he is going to have once he is happy and trusts gentle hands. My girlfriend calls him Pascal, and I call him "Little guy". Any further advice or name suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Pictures, in chronological order, from day one, to yesterday...

IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG

Last edited:
For a name: Lucky! He is one lucky chameleon. Most in his situation die. He looks great!

I don't know the lighting you have, but if you are getting the best, Arcadia lighting from Light Your Reptiles is the best. @Venutus1 is really knowledgeable about his products and how they affect the health of chameleons.

One other thing: You mentioned him listening to you. I hate to break it to you, but they only hear very low frequencies, lower than most humans can hear. He can't hear you talking to him.

He looks fantastic. I think you will find he quickly catches up. I've had sickly wild caughts that were trying to die on me maintain their weight at 20g for months only because I force fed them. Those 20g were scrawny-waiting-to-die 20 grams. Once he decided to live after four months of force feeding, he caught up with the other same-sized imports that were imported in the same shipment in two or three months.

You are doing a great job thank you for giving this little guy a second chance on life to know the love someone can give he looks happy as for s name idk still trying to pick one for my guy this name be for I got him is sarge

have just read his story in the other thread - he's a lucky little guy to have found such a good forever home and he's looking great! :) live long and prosper, little cham

Great to see what you have done for this lil guy. Glad to have seen your story, hope the both of you have a long happy time together!

For a name: Lucky! He is one lucky chameleon. Most in his situation die. He looks great!

I don't know the lighting you have, but if you are getting the best, Arcadia lighting from Light Your Reptiles is the best. @Venutus1 is really knowledgeable about his products and how they affect the health of chameleons.

One other thing: You mentioned him listening to you. I hate to break it to you, but they only hear very low frequencies, lower than most humans can hear. He can't hear you talking to him.

He looks fantastic. I think you will find he quickly catches up. I've had sickly wild caughts that were trying to die on me maintain their weight at 20g for months only because I force fed them. Those 20g were scrawny-waiting-to-die 20 grams. Once he decided to live after four months of force feeding, he caught up with the other same-sized imports that were imported in the same shipment in two or three months.
Thank you! Lucky is a very good suggestion! I will write that down and strongly consider it!!

I was mostly joking about him listening to me and cocking his head. I know that chameleons as a whole do not have keen hearing. I tell my girlfriend that he is completely deaf and can't hear a thing. I definitely believe that they are basically deaf, as he hasn't even twitched when we play loud music or move furniture. He does however stare very curiously into my eyes and cock his head sometimes when I make eye contact and talk to him, even though he can't hear me.

As for the Arcadia lighting, you hit it on the head. I am planning to get the Arcadia 36'' quad bulb setup with integral timer. I didn't see a 48" Arcadia, or a 24", so I assume that the 36" can be adapted to my (near future) 24x48x48 Dragon Strand cage.

Thank you! Lucky is a very good suggestion! I will write that down and strongly consider it!!

I was mostly joking about him listening to me and cocking his head. I know that chameleons as a whole do not have keen hearing. I tell my girlfriend that he is completely deaf and can't hear a thing. I definitely believe that they are basically deaf, as he hasn't even twitched when we play loud music or move furniture. He does however stare very curiously into my eyes and cock his head sometimes when I make eye contact and talk to him, even though he can't hear me.

As for the Arcadia lighting, you hit it on the head. I am planning to get the Arcadia 36'' quad bulb setup with integral timer. I didn't see a 48" Arcadia, or a 24", so I assume that the 36" can be adapted to my (near future) 24x48x48 Dragon Strand cage.

They have lots of sizes. Todd at Light Your Reptiles ran out of a few sizes but they should arrive any day now. You can get whatever size you want. I prefer them bigger because I think most chameleon cages are too darn dark.

They have lots of sizes. Todd at Light Your Reptiles ran out of a few sizes but they should arrive any day now. You can get whatever size you want. I prefer them bigger because I think most chameleon cages are too darn dark.

I stand corrected! I just took another look and they have both 48" and 24". I will contact the owner and request notification for when the 48 comes back into stock. I made a profile and added it to my wishlist.

Thanks a million!

You've done wonders for the little guy. We are working with one that was in a similar situation right now. He's still a bit compromised but improving every day. When he is better we plan to post his progression. I doubt we will have as many pics as you do.:D

Thank you all for the lovely comments and well wishes.

I made a big purchase today.

The little guy has a Dragon Strand clear side atrium 24x48x48, a MistKing (upgraded), and some heavy duty lighting supplies from Arcadia on the way as of this evening.

Can't say I'm not committed. This little guy has stolen my heart. I look forward to building him his new mansion.

-Chaz

Great job with him - we love success stories on here! I'm in the process of setting up/decorating my new Dragon Strand clear side and can't wait to move Sunny into it.

Thank you all for the lovely comments and well wishes.

I made a big purchase today.

The little guy has a Dragon Strand clear side atrium 24x48x48, a MistKing (upgraded), and some heavy duty lighting supplies from Arcadia on the way as of this evening.

Can't say I'm not committed. This little guy has stolen my heart. I look forward to building him his new mansion.

-Chaz
WOW! That is a huge purchase! These little buggers do have a way of stealing our hearts, don't they! :love: Funny side note, I used to work with a medic who went by the name Chaz!:coffee:

WOW! That is a huge purchase! These little buggers do have a way of stealing our hearts, don't they! :love: Funny side note, I used to work with a medic who went by the name Chaz!:coffee:
Yeah it stung a little. I think the total came to $1,100 with shipping (good lord, Dragon Strand charges $100+ for fed ex express!). He's worth it though. He is a little life, with a little soul, that I willingly invited into my home. I would be remiss in my duties as a keeper (I hate the term "animal owner") if I did not extend to him the best of my abilities and intentions (and wallet).

That's funny and awesome! I assume you're (or was) an EMT/Paramedic/RN? I was an EMT for a few years and have been a solo Paramedic for more than a year now. It's a very rewarding (but mega hard and stressful) job.

Also, I like parentheses (if you can't tell).

;)

Wow, amazing!! I loved reading your story and seeing all the pics - thanks for sharing. I agree, these guys do have a way of stealing our hearts...not to mention or wallets!! Heehee!! And when it comes time to move my little guy to his full size home, I'll look into the lights that were mentioned here - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom