The chameleon with no name, a journey of love and patience, revisited.

MedicMan1

Established Member
Hey all, happy holidays!

Some of you might remember a thread I posted circa 2017, in which we rescued a Sambava panther boy, nursed him back to health, and he exploded into a massive healthy guy. If you don’t, no problem, here’s the thread!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...y-of-love-and-patience-very-pic-heavy.155114/

It pains me (literally) to share the news that our beloved Smaug, featured in that thread, passed away last year a couple of months after his SEVENTH birthday. He gave us many years of love and fun, and we miss him dearly. We had him cremated and he’s still with us.

We didn’t know when we were getting another, but we knew we would. The other day, we happened across a little one (another panther) in a box box pet store (I know I know, I’m contributing to the problem). My heartstrings were pulled major league, as this one has also had a really rough start to life and nearly died. Per the story from the manager, “it” was so skinny when they got it that his/her poor hipbones had literally broken the skin. They spent a couple months nursing the little thing back to health, and I’m actually impressed, as it seems they did a halfway decent job. The manager seems to be the only person I’ve come across in this particular chain of stores that knows chameleons at least a little bit. Anyhoo. I felt like it was Smaug reaching through the veil and telling us it was time. This is our new baby, we pick him/her (I personally am leaning towards female) after Christmas. Theyre holding the little one. I just couldn’t let it go to someone who didn’t know how to take care of Panther chameleons. My heart wouldn’t allow it.

One of the silver linings of this “rescue” (I think it qualifies as a rescue), is that with all of the handling during “rehab” in the store, this is the friendliest panther baby I’ve ever seen. He/she climbs right into my hand as soon as it’s offered, and isn’t stanoffish AT ALL. I think he/she will be a little sweetie.

I’ll document the progress here, like in the other thread. I’m excited to see how this little one develops!! Let me know what you guys think about the male/female debate. They were calling it a HE, but the pink and muted colors made me think SHE, and now I’m wish-washy because it has some really pretty pastel blues on the cheeks occasionally, and staff said they’ve seen some other colors like bright green. Who knows.

Sorry for the novel! Glad to be back!!

Attachments

• IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 25
Welcome back and sadly Smaug passed away, but you gave a perfect life and wauw 7 👌🏻 that says enough. This is one beautiful girl you’re getting, I love female panthers. While you’re now getting ready for her, please also prepare her laying bin inside her new enclosure. Then she can already get used to it.

Welcome back. This is very much a female panther. Do you know about the husbandry changes you need to make for a female?

Wishing you 7+ years with this cutie. Yes, it is extremely hard to turn away from a pet store Chameleon, but you should look at it as the cup is half full - you have rescued this baby and she now has the opportunity to live her best life. Pet stores are never gonna stop selling pets. They are profit driven and provide habitats capable of providing the bare minimum of life sustaining supplies. I frequent pet stores. I find really good sales but I have learned to avoid the pet section. My heart can't take it.

Hey all, happy holidays!

Some of you might remember a thread I posted circa 2017, in which we rescued a Sambava panther boy, nursed him back to health, and he exploded into a massive healthy guy. If you don’t, no problem, here’s the thread!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...y-of-love-and-patience-very-pic-heavy.155114/

It pains me (literally) to share the news that our beloved Smaug, featured in that thread, passed away last year a couple of months after his SEVENTH birthday. He gave us many years of love and fun, and we miss him dearly. We had him cremated and he’s still with us.

We didn’t know when we were getting another, but we knew we would. The other day, we happened across a little one (another panther) in a box box pet store (I know I know, I’m contributing to the problem). My heartstrings were pulled major league, as this one has also had a really rough start to life and nearly died. Per the story from the manager, “it” was so skinny when they got it that his/her poor hipbones had literally broken the skin. They spent a couple months nursing the little thing back to health, and I’m actually impressed, as it seems they did a halfway decent job. The manager seems to be the only person I’ve come across in this particular chain of stores that knows chameleons at least a little bit. Anyhoo. I felt like it was Smaug reaching through the veil and telling us it was time. This is our new baby, we pick him/her (I personally am leaning towards female) after Christmas. Theyre holding the little one. I just couldn’t let it go to someone who didn’t know how to take care of Panther chameleons. My heart wouldn’t allow it.

One of the silver linings of this “rescue” (I think it qualifies as a rescue), is that with all of the handling during “rehab” in the store, this is the friendliest panther baby I’ve ever seen. He/she climbs right into my hand as soon as it’s offered, and isn’t stanoffish AT ALL. I think he/she will be a little sweetie.

I’ll document the progress here, like in the other thread. I’m excited to see how this little one develops!! Let me know what you guys think about the male/female debate. They were calling it a HE, but the pink and muted colors made me think SHE, and now I’m wish-washy because it has some really pretty pastel blues on the cheeks occasionally, and staff said they’ve seen some other colors like bright green. Who knows.

Sorry for the novel! Glad to be back!!
Wonderful story! Congrats on the little one.

Great story, sorry about your guy. Your little darling is beautiful! Enjoy her and the journey of girls. 🥰

I’m so sorry about Smaug. Seven years is wonderful and he must have had the best care and life with you. Big box store or not, this beautiful little girl has been through a lot and the fates saw that she is deserving of the very best of homes. 💗

IMG_7987.jpeg

We are on the way home! She is a complete and total sweetheart and spent the first half of the drive just climbing hands and chilling. No dark colors, no mouth open, she seems very mellow and content. Probably very happy to get out of that tiny tank they had her in.

Interestingly, she started slowing down a bit (she was VERY active and wanting to climb everything, including my wife’s hair), so I set her in the little transport box, and she curled her tail up and tucked her face under a paper towel and immediately went to sleep. She’s a funny little one already. I want to emphasize how much of a sweetheart she is again. My wife and I are both shocked. She’s insanely tame.

Cute little female! She needs a name!
Indeed! Since our last boy was “Smaug”, I have decided upon a name…

Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to introduce you to…

GALADRIEL!

I’m a huge Tolkienite, so it was an easy choice! This little one is also super pretty and has been a warrior from the start of her life, so I think it’s pretty appropriate.

Indeed! Since our last boy was “Smaug”, I have decided upon a name…

Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to introduce you to…

GALADRIEL!

I’m a huge Tolkienite, so it was an easy choice! This little one is also super pretty and has been a warrior from the start of her life, so I think it’s pretty appropriate.
Love it! I’ve got a Panther named Treebeard and a Jackson’s named Bilbo.

Galadriel is in her new house, and already adjusting SO well, even after a three hour drive home.

She was initially hesitant to climb in and wanted to stay on my hand instead (she’s startlingly comfy with handling), but eventually acquiesced and sat in the basking spot for a while. It was obvious that she was a little taken aback with the grandeur of this 2x4x2 enclosure, and spent an hour or so just looking around. Then, she spun around on a dime, and snapped a Dubia off the hanging feeder. Good sign!!

After that, she did some laps with her war paint on, snuck out from under a plant (pictured), and unleashed hell on a few more dubia.

She’s going to be great here. We already are smitten.

IMG_7991.jpeg

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7989.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom