The Accidental Melleri

d3s5

Avid Member
I was attending my usual reptile show, as I do every other month, to get hornworms for Phineas. And it's always fun to look around. Imagine my surprise when I saw a Mellers! Never have I seen a Mellers at this show! Imagine my shock when the guy pulls out a Sterlite container full of Mellers all piled on top of one another. They all looked damaged, horrible and sick. He said they had just come in from Mozambique. I wanted to take all eight home with me I was so horrified, but here is the result: Mocuba and Medjumbe. They were both 7" from nose to vent when I got them. Mocuba is now MUCH bigger than Medjumbe. He is eating everything in sight. Medjumbe's appetite is getting better, but she still does not eat a lot.

They have been to the vet. Both have been through two rounds of Panacur. I will be taking another fecal sample back in about ten more days. I have also been giving Medjumbe liquid calcium and injections of antibiotics. The vet thought her X-ray showed "an" egg(?). I don't have a photo of it. He said her blood tests were all in the normal range, but given that she has "an" egg, he wanted her on liquid calcium. In addition, she has a bent front leg. The X-ray showed that it wasn't broken but healed on a 45 degree angle. The X-ray looked like someone had slammed a door shut on her.

FIRST DAY : UNHAPPY CAMPERS

SETTLING IN

THE QUARANTINE BATHROOM

ENJOYING THE MIST

BASKING

MOCUBA ESCAPED. FOUND AFTER TWO HOURS!

MOCUBA'S NEW SLEEPING SPOT

MOCUBA'S FIRST SHED WITH ME

The vet said he had no idea on an age. At 7" from snout to vent, does anyone have any idea? Mocuba was 131 grams. Medjumbe was 107 grams.

They are looking so much better now and I love their quarantine space! Good luck with them - they are on my wish list so I can't guess at a size, but yours are both adorable! :D

I'm so happy that these two ended up with you. I hate seeing Meller's at shows, typically they look really terrible. Not just stressed and dehydrated, but the last one I saw was literally skin and bones. I'm glad these guys had a lot of luck and ended up somewhere suitable.

I can't tell you how old they are, but to compare my 5 year old female is around 400-500 grams (I forget her exact weight, but remember that she's almost a pound). So probably yours are not full grown.

Congrats, good pick up. looks like you are doing well with them so far. I would say they are lucky to have a good home if he had that many there. I have 2 of my chams in a bathroom, it sure makes it easy doesn't it? Keep up posted.

Great job you have done with them, they look great!.....love seeing all the pics of progression....that is quite a set up you have in the bathroom.

Congrats Deb! They are so beautiful. I can only imagine how gorgeous they will be after a few months with you. They are so very lucky that you picked them out of that container. I know you wish you could have saved them all.

Thanks everyone.

Congrats, good pick up. looks like you are doing well with them so far. I would say they are lucky to have a good home if he had that many there. I have 2 of my chams in a bathroom, it sure makes it easy doesn't it? Keep up posted.

Great job you have done with them, they look great!.....love seeing all the pics of progression....that is quite a set up you have in the bathroom.
Yes! The bathroom is working out very well. So easy to keep clean. Plus everything I set up can be easily taken down without power tools, filling holes and repainting.

Congrats Deb! They are so beautiful. I can only imagine how gorgeous they will be after a few months with you. They are so very lucky that you picked them out of that container. I know you wish you could have saved them all.
Yes, Jann. I still am upset I could not take them all. I did think about it, but the bathroom is the only appropriate place I had set up for quarantining. I have cages but it just doesn't seem okay to me. I want to do right by the ones I get.

I'm gonna address the elephant in the room. Soooo do you bathe with them:D
Ha! Just to let the elephant free: I have two full bathrooms plus a 1/2 bath. Truth be told though, my African Grey showers with me daily - standing on the rod of course. The humidity is great for him!

Back
Top Bottom