Texas - Chameleon is Sick, Vets closed/booked solid

Hello,

I live in Texas and was without dependable power/water for a week. Despite my best efforts to keep my cham in stable conditions it seems that he's ended up with a respiratory infection. He is sticking his nose in the air, making occasional hissing noises, has thick mucus in his mouth, is a brownish/grey color and is uncharacteristically grumpy. I rescued him a couple of weeks ago so he was already in a fragile state - the cold seems to have pushed him over the edge.

Normally this would be a no-brainer - I'd take him to the vet and get him on antibiotics. However because of the massive grid failures still happening across the state, my vet's office is offline for the foreseeable future. I've tried contacting other vets, but they are either in the same situation or booked out weeks in advance. Any VM boxes I get forwarded to are full so I don't even have a way to leave a Hail Mary message for help.

I am panicking trying to figure out how to stop this before it advances. I need help. Is there any possible way I can get antibiotics on my own? Does anyone know what kind I should try to find? Any suggestions for help, or a licensed vet that could do a digital visit and get me a script? Thank you for any/all help and suggestions!

My cham is a veiled male - 1 yo.

Legally they can not prescribe meds to an animal they have not seen in person.

My only advice is to keep them at 80 ish 24/7, no night time drop.

But mouth popping and mucus is not good news, that is the final stages.

Someone else can chime in if Serrapeptase can help in this case.

Hello,

I live in Texas and was without dependable power/water for a week. Despite my best efforts to keep my cham in stable conditions it seems that he's ended up with a respiratory infection. He is sticking his nose in the air, making occasional hissing noises, has thick mucus in his mouth, is a brownish/grey color and is uncharacteristically grumpy. I rescued him a couple of weeks ago so he was already in a fragile state - the cold seems to have pushed him over the edge.

Normally this would be a no-brainer - I'd take him to the vet and get him on antibiotics. However because of the massive grid failures still happening across the state, my vet's office is offline for the foreseeable future. I've tried contacting other vets, but they are either in the same situation or booked out weeks in advance. Any VM boxes I get forwarded to are full so I don't even have a way to leave a Hail Mary message for help.

I am panicking trying to figure out how to stop this before it advances. I need help. Is there any possible way I can get antibiotics on my own? Does anyone know what kind I should try to find? Any suggestions for help, or a licensed vet that could do a digital visit and get me a script? Thank you for any/all help and suggestions!

My cham is a veiled male - 1 yo.
This is a sad situation, not sure how many chams are going without their needed supplies in Texas ☹️ (And around the world). If you are willing you can try driving out a little farther than you called? Unless you’ve done that already, but if you can look for experienced chameleon vets a little farther that’s my best advice. I don’t have experience with respiratory infections and I don’t think you may be able to get meds/antibiotics over the counter, I’m sorry this is happening hopefully someone can give you more advice!

This whole past week has been traumatizing and heart wrenching. We were lucky - we had intermittent power and water. Some of my loved ones went days without either. I am heartbroken for all the animals out there that have been without heat/food for the week. And this week isn't looking much better. Shipping is backed up, which means no shipping live animals for the foreseeable future so it's really hard to find feeders. Thankfully I have some supers that will hopefully tide us over. It's a true crisis, and the issue is that it's statewide. Normally we could drive to another city or town for food/vet care but the most of the state has been slammed. I'm considering driving to LA/AK/OK but it's a day's drive from where I am. Just going to tell work I have a family emergency and leave it at that.

It would be SUPER COOL if our governor would step in and make some emergency declarations that would allow vets to do virtual visits etc.

I wonder if I could start a reptile food drive.

Going to look into the panhandle (who didn't lose power) and other states to see if I can find something. I've upped his temps for now. Thank you all for your advice/info.

It would be SUPER COOL if our governor would step in and make some emergency declarations that would allow vets to do virtual visits etc.

I wonder if I could start a reptile food drive.
Both would be amazing! What part of Texas are you in? I can give you some spare roaches if you’re close. Are there any 24 hr. exotic animal hospitals that are open near/where you live?

Thank you all for your help and concern. I was able to drop him off at an exotic vet and they fit him into the schedule. They sent me home with some oral antibiotics and told me to drop him back off for injections if he doesn't improve in a couple of days. They're pretty far away from my house so we're trying the oral route first. Vet said I caught it early and gives him a good chance of recovery (for a cham). He agreed that I should keep temps higher overnight until he's recovered. Fingers crossed, wish me luck. Y'all are really the best.

@ERKleRose I'm in Austin - thank you, that is so generous of you! I think the supers will get us by for now but I'll let you know if we get into dire straits!

Thank you all for your help and concern. I was able to drop him off at an exotic vet and they fit him into the schedule. They sent me home with some oral antibiotics and told me to drop him back off for injections if he doesn't improve in a couple of days. They're pretty far away from my house so we're trying the oral route first. Vet said I caught it early and gives him a good chance of recovery (for a cham). He agreed that I should keep temps higher overnight until he's recovered. Fingers crossed, wish me luck. Y'all are really the best.

@ERKleRose I'm in Austin - thank you, that is so generous of you! I think the supers will get us by for now but I'll let you know if we get into dire straits!
Yay! I’m so glad he got in to see a vet! Good luck, and keep us updated! Definitely PM me if you end up needing roaches!

Back
Top Bottom