terrariums or screen cages?

grimlin18

i was wondering if glass terrariums are good to keep panther chameleons in. right now my little guy is in a screen cage but when he gets big i was thinking of putting him in a terrarium. would he be okay in one or would he be to big?

i was wondering if glass terrariums are good to keep panther chameleons in. right now my little guy is in a screen cage but when he gets big i was thinking of putting him in a terrarium. would he be okay in one or would he be to big?

you are gona want a screen cage glass is not good for ventilation if price is a issue check out reptariums.. lllreptile.com they have cheep ones,

yeah, thats what i was thinking at first but i was looking at one and it has a screen top would that make a differnce?

all if not most terrariums have screen or are able to have screen tops but for a cham you want as much air flow as posible and the only way i would say a partcial glass would be ok is if only 2 sides ar glass??? but these reptairiums are cheep light and have plenty of air flow dose anyone elss agree?

alright cool, thanks for your help! i was wondering cuz these damn crickets always find a hiding place between the screen and the metal edges.

i've heard but i just want my panther to have fun and hunt around for food. i was just thinking of filling in the holes with a hot glue gun. if that fails then its cup feeding for rampage.

Properly vented terrariums (not aquariums) can be used successfully with chameleons. Glass terrariums, such as the exo-terras, provide adequate airflow if used correctly. Glass and screen both have pros and cons. You location also plays into what type will work best for you. One of the biggest limitations with glass terrariums is size. The biggest exo-terra is 36x36x36, which is not large enough for an adult panther. For smaller species, especially montanes, they can be an excellent way to control temperature (again, if used properly) and especially humidity. For a panther, however, size will be a limiting factor with glass terrariums, so it's easier to do screen.

yes i saw your other post too the hot gule seems like a reasonable answer.. let me know how that gose good luck with that.

but the cup it just another way to have your cham eat im sure there is another way no one has thought of lol

will do! hah never thought about that, i'll just fill it up with differnt bugs and he can have a feast.

i might do that if i start having the same problem you can controle feeding and keep track of the little sneeky bugs just make sure to make it a hunt not a buffet lol;)

Read Chris Anderson's post on glass enclosures. If you have a panther, the biggest glass terrarium you'll find (the exo-terra) is no where near big enough to house it when it's an adult. The bigger is always better with the bigger chameleons such as panthers, veileds ans specially with mellers and parsons. They like to climb and move around, so having them crowded into a 36X36X36 enclosure, when their total length can be 24" (the panther) is like a punishment.

The most important issue is having good ventilation (Chris talks about this in detail).

The best option, IMO, is a screen cage since it is cheaper, you are assured that the chameleon is getting proper ventilation, and it is easier to clean since it can be moved easily. I house my adult male veiled in a 2X2X4' screen enclosure, and sometimes I feel like it's still too small for him.

I use both glass (exoterra) and screen - for the panthers, it is screen. They need lots of room and unless you custom build...best to you.

Back
Top Bottom