Temporary UVB+Heat Bulb in one

Ferrah88

I was wondering if, as a temporary solution, it would be alright to have a combination lightbulb that does both UVB and Heat. This would be for a couple of months, till summer at MOST, until I can build together a stand for Yuki's new vivarium. I plan on building in some nice tubes for him then, so that is certainly in the plan. I do however need a temporary solution, and this would be easiest for me right now.

But the question is, even if it's easier for me, is it alright to have a bulb like this for a couple of months?

The bulb in question could be the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00393OV50

This one should provide both enough heat and UVB for her until something proper can be set up.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan on picking one up today... at the moment she only has a heat bulb! (It has only been a single day, the store didn't have any combo ones, but the pet store we will be going to has this one in stock!) Thanks in advance!

From what I have heard those lights are great. I have the exo terra sun ray which is similar to the bright sun.

Edit: Just be careful as metal halide bulbs can put out intense amounts of UVs. It is recommended to use a solarmeter 6.5 when using metal halide bulbs. They also seem to take a couple weeks to burn in and put off less UV. After that the output has been great on my sun rays.

Perfect, just before I was about to leave! Thank you :) I will pick it up and see how she goes. If I get any other replies after, well, I can always fix things up still! The combo will be better than nothing for the time being though!

Way better than nothing but also the MV all in one (and other MV bulbs) out perform most lights I have tested.

It says right on the description: "Can be used a sole lamp". What part of that description did you not understand? :p

All joking aside, I've seen similar here in the USA and would love to use one, but they are SO expensive!

If thats within your budget, they should be able to be used year round. (Providing it meets the UVB and heat requirements for your enclosure.

I have the exo terra sun rays on my 3 chameleon cages and I do have to say the light spectrum is amazing and the light penetrates all the way to the bottom of the cage. Yes, they are quite expensive, but I really like them.

I tried to get the lucky reptile bright suns, but pretty much impossible here in the US.

However do remember to use a 6.5 UV meter if possible. These things can put out pretty strong full spectrum light with high UV.

I have the exo terra sun rays on my 3 chameleon cages and I do have to say the light spectrum is amazing and the light penetrates all the way to the bottom of the cage. Yes, they are quite expensive, but I really like them.

I tried to get the lucky reptile bright suns, but pretty much impossible here in the US.

However do remember to use a 6.5 UV meter if possible. These things can put out pretty strong full spectrum light with high UV.

How long do they typically last? Is it worth the $40-60 investment over two separate bulbs that last at least 6 months?

What do you mean " use a 6.5 UV meter"? Can you elaborate?

How long do they typically last? Is it worth the $40-60 investment over two separate bulbs that last at least 6 months?

What do you mean " use a 6.5 UV meter"? Can you elaborate?

I cant say for sure how ling they last yet as I have only had them a few months.

I meant "solar meter" Like this one:

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/solarmeter65.html

For the first I would say 3 weeks the UV output was so high I added a couple layers of screen to that area of the top of the cage until it burned in a bit.

I cant say for sure how ling they last yet as I have only had them a few months.

I meant "solar meter" Like this one:

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/solarmeter65.html

For the first I would say 3 weeks the UV output was so high I added a couple layers of screen to that area of the top of the cage until it burned in a bit.

Wow, another expensive toy. lol :p That makes sense now, thanks. I didn't realize these bulbs could produce higher than safe UV until broken in.

Wow, another expensive toy. lol :p That makes sense now, thanks. I didn't realize these bulbs could produce higher than safe UV until broken in.

I think most people use the solarmeter 6.2 as it gives them a different reading that they prefer. I was just told by a few different sources to use the 6.5 for these types of bulbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom