Temperature help

bowen

Hi i have bought my new veild chameleon about a week ago and i have been struggling to keep the temperature around 85'f during the day and 75-80 at night. now because its so cold out side. its night time right now and i have 2 bulbs on him right now and the tank is sitting around 60-65'f will this harm him, he seems happy and content and he is sitting on a vine sleeping in the middle of the terrarium, well a little less then the middle of the tank. he eats a about 4-6 crickets the first few days but hasnt had as much lately. will he be ok??

he's ok as far as temps go....many chams especially veields are fine with night temps in the 60's, during the day it should be in the 70's and in one side of its cage should be a basking light and should be in the 80's

post pics of your enclosure and maybe fill out this so we can help you for any fixes

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

he's ok....many chams especially veields are fine with night temps in the 60's, during the day it should be in the 70's and in one side of its cage should be a basking light and should be in the 80's

thank you. the temperatures stay about 75- 80 in the bottom of the tank then under the basking light it sits between 80-88. but its good to know the temp is fine. thanks for the quick reply/ and im :) now that i know hes fine hes my first one and i dont want to screw it up

thank you. the temperatures stay about 75- 80 in the bottom of the tank then under the basking light it sits between 80-88. but its good to know the temp is fine. thanks for the quick reply/ and im :) now that i know hes fine hes my first one and i dont want to screw it up

try to mist more often or maybe change the wattage of the light bulb so that everywhere else stays a little bit cooler...do you have a uvb light (linear 5.0 reptisun reccommended the coil bulbs may cause eye problems i you don not have one then get one soon, chams need it:)

and sure no problem....do a lot of research here....so you wont have to deal with a sick cham or at least know what todo when you have a sick cham.....find a good "retptile vet with cham experience" near you just in case...

and if you didnt know https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

thats a blog with HUGE info that will help you about raising a happy healthy cham:)

try to mist more often or maybe change the wattage of the light bulb so that everywhere else stays a little bit cooler...do you have a uvb light (linear 5.0 reptisun reccommended the coil bulbs may cause eye problems i you don not have one then get one soon, chams need it:)

and sure no problem....do a lot of research here....so you wont have to deal with a sick cham or at least know what todo when you have a sick cham.....find a good "retptile vet with cham experience" near you just in case...

and if you didnt know https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

thats a blog with HUGE info that will help you about raising a happy healthy cham:)

I do have a 5.0 uvb bulb, i mist the terrarium ever time i check up on him about 3-6 times a day, i been doing lots of research because i love my veiled (mozie aka Mo) i dont want a sick chameleon, im also in the process of finding one, a vet that is.

do you have any more tips

i have a a glass/ mesh terrarium, one live plant (potho i think the name is) a few fake plants a vine, different size branches with newspaper for the bottom.
i have a 5.0 uvb bulb and a 1oo w heat bulb, for night i use a red light heat bulb for night time.

i feed him 5-6 crickets a day but the last few days theres been crickets left over every day, hes also had 2 horned worms and 3 butter worms in the last few days

i use a dry gutload from the place i bought my chameleon the crickets love it and i use potatos and cucumbers as a we gutload with cricket quencher with the occasional misting of there tank. i use calcium powder 3 times a week and multi vitamins 1 a week so far, i have a care sheet to record feeding, vitamins types of food i feed him etc

if you can, i dont you need a light at night, unless it gets below 58-60 degrees...
if he is almost a year old...he might be slowing down in food intake....try feeding every other day....

or he might be tired of crickets, try different feeders like silkworms, hornworms, superworms, butterworms, grasshoppers, dubia roches of possible, mantids, blue bottle flies, moths, and so on:)

and if you have a calcium without D3 use 4-5 x a week

you also need calcium with D3 use it a 2-3 x a month

and a multivitamin 2-3 x a month

example i use

repcal w/o d3
repcal w/ d3
herptivite

you should try to gutload your crix with other veggies and fruits

like oranges, carrots, kale, dandelion, alfafa, blueberries, romaine lettuce, squash

avoid using spinach, tomatoe, and broccoli- they can be harmful to chams even if fed to crix - they prevent calcium absorbsion and can cause problems to chams

hope this helps

Hello bowen and welcome. You do know that you need a UVB light? Without it your chameleon can develop MBD (metolic bone disease). Sounds like you are on the right track-do you have any pictures of your cham and cage?

Hello bowen and welcome. You do know that you need a UVB light? Without it your chameleon can develop MBD (metolic bone disease). Sounds like you are on the right track-do you have any pictures of your cham and cage?

i do have a uvb 5.0 light for my chameleon, i have photos yes hes a good hider lmao:) im not sure how to add them tho

post rely and click on the little paper clip to the right of the white smiley face above and download from your computer. If that doesnt work you can go to photobucket and open an account for free and download from there. You have to copy and paste the image from there though.

Mozie

here are the pictures you guys desire thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 88
if you can, i dont you need a light at night, unless it gets below 58-60 degrees...
if he is almost a year old...he might be slowing down in food intake....try feeding every other day....

or he might be tired of crickets, try different feeders like silkworms, hornworms, superworms, butterworms, grasshoppers, dubia roches of possible, mantids, blue bottle flies, moths, and so on:)

and if you have a calcium without D3 use 4-5 x a week

you also need calcium with D3 use it a 2-3 x a month

and a multivitamin 2-3 x a month

example i use

repcal w/o d3
repcal w/ d3
herptivite

you should try to gutload your crix with other veggies and fruits

like oranges, carrots, kale, dandelion, alfafa, blueberries, romaine lettuce, squash

avoid using spinach, tomatoe, and broccoli- they can be harmful to chams even if fed to crix - they prevent calcium absorbsion and can cause problems to chams

hope this helps

Hey ace

I been feeding my chameleons crix a few different things, cucumbers, potato,
i tried apples today, i tried iceburg lettuce.

the chameleon i feed a couple horned worms, a couple butter worms, crix. i want to try the flys and stuff but im not sure where to get stuff like the i havent found a place yet that will provide that stuff or doesnt have it do you have an idea where i could get some, like online websites or something like that i live in hamilton ontario canada if you happen to know a location there or close to there.

aas to the night time light i use it because it gets fairly cold in my house.

another question for you. whats your opinion on letting it rome in a room. what i want to do when i get my own place with out a cat i want to take the top off the terrarium and set vines and trees in a room along walls etc.

any advice ? anyones oppinion would be fantastic:)

Back
Top Bottom