TEMPERATURE GUN

lthrbecks

Established Member
Can anyone please recommend me a decent, reliable, temperature gun? I've three different types of thermometers, ALL give different readings! It's very frustrating when I can't rely on an accurate one. Many thanks folks.

I'm guessing they aren't all the same kind of thermometer. Nevertheless, if they're within 2°± you're probably OK. Digital thermometers w/ probes are (IMO) the best; dial thermometers are junk (and can be 10°± or more off).

A temp gun may give you the same 2°± differential. You need to learn about emmisivity of surfaces, and take that into account.

The gun most commonly used by herp keepers (until recently) was https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY

This is crazy. I got mine last year for US$16. A couple days ago, it was up to US$35, and said (Human) instead of (Not for Human). Somebody must have gotten to them to change it.

Anyway, for herps, it's a good temp gun. Due to tariffs, it may be less expensive on the UK Amazon—IDK.

This is my current thermometer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200730_153257_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20200730_153257_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 77
I rarely return items! I'm not too sure about what all the readings are!

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_153821.jpg
    IMG_20200730_153821.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 78
As Klyde O'Scope mentioned a digital thermometer with a probe works nicely, although it depends what you are measuring for ? Basking temp ? Then you would need to take your chameleon's body into consideration as the temperature on his body will be higher than the vine / branch he sits on. I had a Black and Decker Thermal Leak detector and used that but didnt find it of much use getting the basking temp. Now I have a temp probe hanging at the height where the top of my chameleon would be then take a constant measurement.. Raise or Lower the basking point as necessary then when I am happy I raise it a little so its not in his way, but enough so I can tell if its too hot or too cold. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom