Temp

Tkrd69

Chameleon Enthusiast
How high of a ambient temp can a vield chameleon take and how to cool him if you know? Amb temp on porch today 98.

How high of a ambient temp can a vield chameleon take and how to cool him if you know? Amb temp on porch today 98.
While I'm not sure how hot they can handle, 98 F is very hot for ambient temps. I've heard placing ice packs on the top of the enclosure can help with cooling down, not sure how much of a difference this would make tho

98 is really hot for them. If this is in full sun they are high risk for complications from heat. Even in shade the same issues can happen if your getting temps that high. I would not have him out in that kind of heat.

98 is really hot for them. If this is in full sun they are high risk for complications from heat. Even in shade the same issues can happen if your getting temps that high. I would not have him out in that kind of heat.
He is on a screened in porch, no direct sun.

Ok then 98 is extremely hot for an ambient. Do you not have the ability to have him inside where you can control ambient temps?
Not really, but I put a fan next to the roof which is 2 foot above cage, that started to pull excess heat out. What do you think?

Not really, but I put a fan next to the roof which is 2 foot above cage, that started to pull excess heat out. What do you think?
Get creative and try if you have no other option. Just understand that extreme heat can cause major issues to the point of death. Make sure you have a misting system going off and access to water dripping so it does not suffer from dehydration as well.

Get creative and try if you have no other option. Just understand that extreme heat can cause major issues to the point of death. Make sure you have a misting system going off and access to water dripping so it does not suffer from dehydration as well.
I have a reptirain and a big dripper. Rain set for 45 seconds every hour now.

One thing I want to mention...a fan doesn't cool a chameleon like it would a human because chameleons don't sweat...they do not cool off through evaporative cooling.....so all you're doing is blowing the air around by using a fan. (Not sure if opening his mouth would help to cool him.)

95 ambient is usually my cut off outdoors... 95 in shade is well over 110 in the sun. If you have to keep outside in that heat you need to mist frequently. What is your location?

95 ambient is usually my cut off outdoors... 95 in shade is well over 110 in the sun. If you have to keep outside in that heat you need to mist frequently. What is your location?
florida, 17 miles from Lake Okeechobee.

One thing I want to mention...a fan doesn't cool a chameleon like it would a human because chameleons don't sweat...they do not cool off through evaporative cooling.....so all you're doing is blowing the air around by using a fan. (Not sure if opening his mouth would help to cool him.)
I don't have the fan blowing on him. It's above cage blowing hot air off the ceiling to outside.

you said...,
I don't have the fan blowing on him. It's above cage blowing hot air off the ceiling to outside"...so the air lower than the the ceiling is cooler? What temperature is that?

He is on a screened in porch the top of the cage is 2 foot lower than the uninsulated ceiling. Heat rises so fan pulls hot air away from him. I'm 5 foot 9 when I raise me arm up I can feel heat, now not so bad amb temp now is 88 on porch 95 outside.

florida, 17 miles from Lake Okeechobee.
Ya it's fine just make sure plenty of shade and plenty of mist. They thrive in Florida. I would increase your misting duration. I usually mist every 4 hours for 10 minutes outdoors. You might want to look into a patio Mister so you can hook it up directly to a hose and a hose timer.

Last edited:
Ya it's fine just make sure plenty of shade and plenty of mist. They thrive in Florida. I would increase your misting duration. I usually mist every 4 hours for 10 minutes outdoors. You might want to look into a patio Mister so you can hook it up directly to a hose and a hose timer.
Thank you for the idea :)

Should I invest in a fogger for night time?

Back
Top Bottom