Temp gun question

dainironfoot

Hi guys! I have a question about how to use a temp gun. Do you just find something solid to shoot it at? Like if I'm looking to measure the basking spot temp would I just point the dot at the vine the chameleon will be sitting on? Also, how accurate are they? Just trying to figure things out before i get my Cham. Thanx!

-tony

Hi guys! I have a question about how to use a temp gun. Do you just find something solid to shoot it at? Like if I'm looking to measure the basking spot temp would I just point the dot at the vine the chameleon will be sitting on? Also, how accurate are they? Just trying to figure things out before i get my Cham. Thanx!

-tony

I usually point it at the spot where my cham would sit while basking. These are pretty accurate in measuring the surface temp of something as long as the surface isn't super shiny (metallic or glass). Different guns have different effective distance ranges, so check the manual for yours.

I use a Cooper. Wasn't cheap but it was the same brand my fire dept uses when looking for hot spots. That was good enough for me to buy one years ago. I find it to be very accurate up to 25' not like I need that however there was one time I just opened my patio door and shot it across the backyard to the sunning cages....

I use a Cooper. Wasn't cheap but it was the same brand my fire dept uses when looking for hot spots. That was good enough for me to buy one years ago. I find it to be very accurate up to 25' not like I need that however there was one time I just opened my patio door and shot it across the backyard to the sunning cages....
That's incase you want to know the temperature on the inside of your neighbors living room.

I recently (month ago) bought 2 of these infrared temp guns;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-I...976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c8f816928

And they work super great! I haven't had any trouble with them and are pretty accurate, I can take temperature readings from like 4 feet away and it's as good as taking it up close.

Usually what I do is I open up the screen cage door and then point the laser onto my cham and see it's body temperature. Thats how I tell that I have adequate temps and it's usually between 84.5F - 88.3F

Back
Top Bottom