Temp for panther

DaveF

My basking temp for my panther is around 26 degrees c (4 months old) but sometimes he sits there with his mouth wide open and was wondering if if I took it up to 29 wich I see is recommended would that be too hot for him

My basking temp for my panther is around 26 degrees c (4 months old) but sometimes he sits there with his mouth wide open and was wondering if if I took it up to 29 wich I see is recommended would that be too hot for him
Generally, basking with an open mouth means they're too warm, and trying to regulate downward.
I think that's why Flick boy asked how you were measuring the temp. The best way is with a digital thermometer with probe, zip-tying the probe to the basking site.

It would be best to set up a gradient zone for him. This can be accomplished by mounting the basking light at an angle rather than straight down. Instead of a circle, the basking area will be an ellipse with the end closest to the light be warmer, and the end furthest from the light being cooler. E.g. the gradient within the ellipse might go from 27-29. Then your panther can choose the temp he wants. ;)

Generally, basking with an open mouth means they're too warm, and trying to regulate downward.
I think that's why Flick boy asked how you were measuring the temp. The best way is with a digital thermometer with probe, zip-tying the probe to the basking site.

It would be best to set up a gradient zone for him. This can be accomplished by mounting the basking light at an angle rather than straight down. Instead of a circle, the basking area will be an ellipse with the end closest to the light be warmer, and the end furthest from the light being cooler. E.g. the gradient within the ellipse might go from 27-29. Then your panther can choose the temp he wants. ;)
Ill give that a try I use a ceramic heat bulb for basking spot and I have t5 ho uvb and a arcadia jungle bar led for the plants

Hi with a ceramic heater ( when I used them with my bearded dragons) I would put them on thermostats.

When you say 12 inches up from the bottom? Do you have the thermostat probe up from the basking area at the height above your chams back

No its set 12 inches from the bottom of the enclosure and then I check basking branch with thermo gun would u recommend moving the probe to the basking spot ?

No its set 12 inches from the bottom of the enclosure and then I check basking branch with thermo gun would u recommend moving the probe to the basking spot ?
I would. These thermometers are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. I order a few when I set up an enclosure so I've got extras & spares.

I've got a thermometer with probe coming Sunday so I'll jus keep an eye on him and check with thermo gun until then he's very mobile eats all his bugs and looks quite happy in there I was just wondering about the temp as sometimes he sits there with his mouth open not everytime jus the odd occasion so I'm not going to risk anything until I get a true reading of temp for his basking spot

Yes. You will want to take into consideration that If your probe is zip tied to your basking area your cham will be whatever their size above that and at a higher temperature. Also depending upon your probe placement your cham could also block your thermostat probe IMHO i would change your che to either an incandescent bulb or i personally use toughened halogen basking spots. Light = sun = heat

Yes. You will want to take into consideration that If your probe is zip tied to your basking area your cham will be whatever their size above that and at a higher temperature. Also depending upon your probe placement your cham could also block your thermostat probe IMHO i would change your che to either an incandescent bulb or i personally use toughened halogen basking spots. Light = sun = heat
Do you have any recommendations on brands of bulbs ?

This is what I use . There are lots of members on here that have there own opinions (which is why this is a great forum) but I personally have had good results with halogens. In my years I have had cheaper non toughened bulbs blow (not scare mongering) that have lasted well. Also you will have too see what wattage works for you to obtain the temp you want but as they are dimmable if you have a higher watt can be placed on a dimmer thermo

Attachments

• 20210326_225503.jpg
    20210326_225503.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 58
Could it be hes not used to the temp as the pet shop might of not had it st the right temps for him ? Just a thought dont know what tells they had his enclosure at

Back
Top Bottom