Taxonomy 101

Lizardlover

I decided it might be a good idea to give some of the newer members or some that just don't know, a quick lesson in cham taxonomy. After all, everyone loves to use fancy Latin names :).

There are 8 categories we classify life under and I will not get into too much detail since this information can be found under the "Species" tab on the forum.

(Domain) Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species.

When using binomial nomenclature as many of us do on this forum (but don't always do correctly) it is important to remember the genus is always capitalized while the species is left lowercase (the name should also be italicized).

For example Furcifer pardalis

When abbreviating the name, make sure that you distinguish between the genera clearly.

for example, use Ch. calyptratus as opposed to C. calyptratus to clarify that it is Chamaeleo and not Calumma (even though there is no such thing as Calumma calyptratus)

Or Rh. spectrum instead of R. spectrum, as "R." is generally used for the genus Rieppeleon.

Hope this was helpful and maybe cleared up some confusion for some, feel free to add anything you feel may be useful that I missed :).

omg...just smack me in the face and say "you're totally a nerd, and love it!!"

why am i interested in this stuff??:D

Very good! Very helpful.

Also, a trick that helped me through college Bio 1:
King
Phillip
Cares
Only
For
Good
Shrimp

It's the only way (well, I use a slightly less family-friendly variation of this lol) I can ever remember the order.

Back
Top Bottom