Tarzan's DIY enclosure build

Darko.Dares

So 3 month old baby panther Tarzan is currently in a smaller enclosure whilst he grows into himself a bit, and I have recently started a little diy enclosure build, which I will document here over the next few weeks. Ok, so I cheated by buying a second hand viv the same as below for the grand total of £20 including light fittings (love me a bargain!).

image.jpeg

After doing LOTS of research, I decided that an all glass enclosure was a big no-no, but as I live in England in a very old and draughty old granary built sometime in the 1500's, all mesh wasn't going to work either. Struggling to find something that would work well, I decided to adapt this existing viv. I have cut out two panels on the sides at the bottom. I am hoping that this, combined with the air vents at the top and mesh cutout in the roof, will provide some good air flow. If not, the plan is to get rid of the glass doors and replace with mesh ones.

So far I have used expanding foam to sculpt around the walls for a more naturalistic feel, and started to cover with grout. I encorporated the plant pots for the ease of switching and changing plants. When the grouting is finished I will be painting the lot, sealing with an aquarium safe sealant, and stuffing full of plants and vines and branches for lots of hidey places. Struggling to find a sealer I will be sure is safe atm, but I have a few weeks until I'm ready for that so hopefully my research will be fruitful! (Suggestions welcome! ;))

image.jpeg

Hope you guys enjoy watching the viv being created...

An you describe your idea for the floor? Looks like pot holders, but the middle section looks like a pool. Standing water or waterfalls in a Cham cage are a no-no..

Looks like it's going to look great. I think your ventilation will work out fine there is plenty of lower vents to create the desired chimney effect you are looking for.

An you describe your idea for the floor? Looks like pot holders, but the middle section looks like a pool. Standing water or waterfalls in a Cham cage are a no-no..

Nope, no pool. There is a small drainage hole at the back, leading to a water collection tank for any run off. The middle bit is sloped towards the back, hope that explains it!

Nope, no pool. There is a small drainage hole at the back, leading to a water collection tank for any run off. The middle bit is sloped towards the back, hope that explains it!

Ahh I see.. This is looking like a very interesting build. I look forward to seeing the progress. (and maybe borrowing a few ideas from it)(y)

So 3 month old baby panther Tarzan is currently in a smaller enclosure whilst he grows into himself a bit, and I have recently started a little diy enclosure build, which I will document here over the next few weeks. Ok, so I cheated by buying a second hand viv the same as below for the grand total of £20 including light fittings (love me a bargain!).

View attachment 174093

After doing LOTS of research, I decided that an all glass enclosure was a big no-no, but as I live in England in a very old and draughty old granary built sometime in the 1500's, all mesh wasn't going to work either. Struggling to find something that would work well, I decided to adapt this existing viv. I have cut out two panels on the sides at the bottom. I am hoping that this, combined with the air vents at the top and mesh cutout in the roof, will provide some good air flow. If not, the plan is to get rid of the glass doors and replace with mesh ones.

So far I have used expanding foam to sculpt around the walls for a more naturalistic feel, and started to cover with grout. I encorporated the plant pots for the ease of switching and changing plants. When the grouting is finished I will be painting the lot, sealing with an aquarium safe sealant, and stuffing full of plants and vines and branches for lots of hidey places. Struggling to find a sealer I will be sure is safe atm, but I have a few weeks until I'm ready for that so hopefully my research will be fruitful! (Suggestions welcome! ;))

View attachment 174094

Hope you guys enjoy watching the viv being created...

Only thing I'd be worried about is poop getting stuck in the holes in the bottom but it amazing so far

Ok, some progress pics but I'm afraid with starting a new job and a few other things I haven't much time to do lots more. Grouting is 99% finished and I'm in the process of cleaning it all up -

image.jpeg

The screen sides are being fitted into the grouting -

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And just for fun I put a few branches/plants in to have an idea what it will look like finished (please note, these are not the final plants or positions!) -

image.jpeg

Lots still to do and hoping to crack on and get it finished in the next two weeks. Bring in the fake rock painting!! ;)

Looks like a snow cave with orchids and tropical plants lol! Like a magic cave. You should put an albino or all white nosy boraha cham in there lol.

This looks amazing, I want to do something like this for my cham in the future when I have enough money and space for a beautiful build like this.

Still going slowly, bit of a waiting game between layers, sigh... But, finally the first coat of base paint is going on! Looking very dark and monotone, but this is the darkest colour and the final finish should be quite light :) aching arms already!

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom