Tanzania CITES Kinyongia

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just figured I would make this thread post today. I just got a CITES email stating that CITES, with regards to the Repulic of Tanzania, is considering to allow the trade in two Kinyongia species. The species are Kinyongia fischeri and Kinyongia tavetana. I think probably that Kinyongia fischeri won't become a traded species as although they are CITES listed as a Near Threatened species. This Kinyongia species may be an Endangered species as Kinyongia fischeri is documented as one of the rarest species of Kinyongia in the species natural habitat. However Kinyongia tavetana, a beloved species, may become available again for trade in the near future.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is awesome. I was really hoping to see k. multi instead of k. Fischeri
From what I have heard from Petr Necas k. multi population is thriving. I’ll definitely be watching for my chance to get more Kinyongia species to breed.

From what I have heard from Petr Necas k. multi population is thriving. I’ll definitely be watching for my chance to get more Kinyongia species to breed.
Tanzania is openning up some again is great news.

However Kinyongia matchiei and Kinyongia multituberculata are listed as IUCN Endangered species. Who knows when or if trade with those two species is going to happen again. However I have done reading of reports that there is conservation efforts in the area of the Usambara mountians of Tanzania where those species are found. That meaning the two species above could theoretically/possibly make it to the hobby again.

To my knowledge Kinyognia tavetana is Listed as an IUCN Near Threatened species. Plus has a larger range and conserved habitat than Kinyongia matchiei and Kinyongia multituberculata. That meaning there is good prospects of Kinyognia tavetana species returning to the hobby.

I think CITES listed ranched or farmed Kinyongia species would be a great idea.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
sorry this is a bit off topic, but where can I find quota lists and species lists for cites? When I go to the official site no matter what I type in “species” no matches.

I would like to better understand the process of importing reptiles, and how to find exporters. But I can’t seem to find anything on the subject.

X2. I have heard in the area's where Kinyongia multituberculata habitat is provided the species is thriving. However the IUCN decided to list the two species Kinyongia matcheie and Kinyongia multituberculata as Endangered species. I recall the justification as these species habitat is highly fragmented, limited, and not conserved/preserved to provide habitat for these species at a healthy ideal/sustainable long term level. This region of the Usamabra mountain does have some conservation. However the issue of habitat loss is a big issues. I think locals should ranch or farm species from this region on multiple leves. That is since that would conserve habitat, suppliment wildlife trade, and allow conservationist to not concern themselves about having to worry about nonsustainable collecting practices. That would allow conservationist to complete the job of forest/wildlife conservation long term in the region.

sorry this is a bit off topic, but where can I find quota lists and species lists for cites? When I go to the official site no matter what I type in “species” no matches.

I would like to better understand the process of importing reptiles, and how to find exporters. But I can’t seem to find anything on the subject.

This email is not on the CITES Quota page. I receive CITES emails of summaries of CITES meetings and decisions. This is the CITES Quota page though.

https://cites.org/eng/resources/export_quotas

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
X2. I have heard in the area's where Kinyongia multituberculata habitat is provided the species is thriving. However the IUCN decided to list the two species Kinyongia matcheie and Kinyongia multituberculata as Endangered species. I recall the justification as these species habitat is highly fragmented, limited, and not conserved/preserved to provide habitat for these species at a healthy ideal/sustainable long term level. This region of the Usamabra mountain does have some conservation. However the issue of habitat loss is a big issues. I think locals should ranch or farm species from this region on multiple leves. That is since that would conserve habitat, suppliment wildlife trade, and allow conservationist to not concern themselves about having to worry about nonsustainable collecting practices. That would allow conservationist to complete the job of forest/wildlife conservation long term in the region.

This email is not on the CITES Quota page. I receive CITES emails of summaries of CITES meetings and decisions. This is the CITES Quota page though.

https://cites.org/eng/resources/export_quotas

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Aah, thank you!

I just figured I would make this thread post today. I just got a CITES email stating that CITES, with regards to the Repulic of Tanzania, is considering to allow the trade in two Kinyongia species. The species are Kinyongia fischeri and Kinyongia tavetana. I think probably that Kinyongia fischeri won't become a traded species as although they are CITES listed as a Near Threatened species. This Kinyongia species may be an Endangered species as Kinyongia fischeri is documented as one of the rarest species of Kinyongia in the species natural habitat. However Kinyongia tavetana, a beloved species, may become available again for trade in the near future.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Great to hear. I will have to pick up some if they end up coming back to the hobby

Great to hear. I will have to pick up some if they end up coming back to the hobby
Tanzania openning up to trade again is long awaited. That is although only two to one species are being considered allowed for export. There is more than a couple Tanzania chameleon species from multiple genus's I aspire to keep again. That is something I am looking forward too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom