Tanzania 2014 Kinyongia Quotas

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am posting the 2014 quotas of exportable Kinyongia from Tanzania. The 2014 quotas for Kinyongia magomberae and Kinyongia matschiei are new.

Kinyongia fisheri 3000 WC and 10 F1
Kinyongia magomberae 10 F1
Kinyongia matschiei 20 F1
Kinyongia multituberculata 120 F1
Kinyongia oxyrhina 30 F1
Kinyongia tavetana 3000 WC and 90 F1
Kinyongia tenuis 18 F1
Kinyongia uluguruense 10 F1
Kinyongia ulthmoelleri 24 F1
Kinyongia vosseleri 20 F1

CITES finally updated the nomenclature from Chamaeleo to Trioceros from the 2013 to 2014 Tanzania quotas too.

Last edited:
Kinyongia fisheri has a 3000 WC quota, I believe that most of these getting exported and imported into the United States are actually Kinyongia multituberculata. This is only based off limited personal observations, so maybe someone else can explain a bit more about this (or correct me if I'm mistaken).

Very good for new species but 3000 K.fisheri and tavetana are too much for me !!

The Kinyongia fisheri I think (to the best of my knowledge) are Kinyongia multitubercultata being labeled as Kinyongia fisheri. The true Kinyongia fisheri are reported to be much more rare and difficult to locate in the wild than Kinyongia multitubercultata.

Kinyongia fisheri has a 3000 WC quota, I believe that most of these getting exported and imported into the United States are actually Kinyongia multituberculata. This is only based off limited personal observations, so maybe someone else can explain a bit more about this (or correct me if I'm mistaken).

I think the quotas for Kinyongia tavetana are not going to be filled. The Kinyongia tavetana had the same quotas as last year and I only saw them imported to the USA a couple times. I am going to look to research the import data though. Just to check.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
FWIW, I got a box in that was declared fischeri on the import paperwork that contained K. multituberculata and K. matschiei.

FWIW, I got a box in that was declared fischeri on the import paperwork that contained K. multituberculata and K. matschiei.

The clarity about similar species, about what species they actually are sometimes is unclear apparently. The true Kinyongia fisheri is supposed to be even more rare in the wild than Kinyongia matschiei. With that in regard it is strange though that CITES would list that species as the 3000 quota species instead of Kinyongia multituberculata.

I recall somewhat your initial posts when you first acquired your Kinyongia matschiei and Kinyongia multituberculata about the wrong labeling of the species name issue. Something that should be resolved.

Kind Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I think the quotas for Kinyongia tavetana are not going to be filled. The Kinyongia tavetana had the same quotas as last year and I only saw them imported to the USA a couple times. I am going to look to research the import data though. Just to check.

Jeremy A. Rich

Plenty of them came in but most arrived in really bad shape. After three times of receiving animals on deaths door I gave up. I was getting them shipped to me hours after they arrived in the states.

Carl

Kinyongia tenuis are one of my favorites. Don't see them very often. Are any of the pairs going to be for sale?

I'm sure a couple of pairs will make it here this year. Start saving your $$ now for them cause they won't be cheap.

Carl

Plenty of them came in but most arrived in really bad shape. After three times of receiving animals on deaths door I gave up. I was getting them shipped to me hours after they arrived in the states.

Carl

I still want to check the importation numbers. I only saw them a handful of times on Kingsnake even though others were of course imported to other wholesalers and retailers else were other than Kingsnake. However it did not seem to be 2000 plus Kinyongia tavetana imported. The importation number would show just how many were imported.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
That list made me drool a little on my keyboard lol. I would love to work with vosseleri, and uthmoelleri are my favorite species Ive ever worked with by far. The range of colors they can put out is ridiculous..and their velvety skin:D:eek:

Interesting...I got my kinyongia without any prior Cham experience/knowledge and bought mine from the store labeled as a "Fischers Chameleon". Turns out he is actually vosseleri.
Do these CITES #'s include species being imported to Canada as well ?

Found this image the explains the characteristics between the species
kinyongia_vanheygeni_table_02.jpg

Carl

I agree. The K. tavs that came in last year were in absolutely horrible shape. They seemed really dehydrated and just very ill -- all with seemingly the same issues.

Carl

I agree. The K. tavs that came in last year were in absolutely horrible shape. They seemed really dehydrated and just very ill -- all with seemingly the same issues.

That is a worthy issue. We as the receiver or consumer of these Kinyongia tavetana should start demanding improved export and import conditions of these chameleons. As well as make sure standards do not slip up. I recommend start talking with local wholesalers of these chameleons if there quality standards are not where they should be. As well have the wholesalers chat with the reptile farms and collecting facilities if chameleons are arriving in terrible conditions.

According to Chris's information "from 2002 through 2011 annual exports averaged 2,500 individuals" Tanzania is using most of the quota for exporting Kinyongia tavetana.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
That list made me drool a little on my keyboard lol. I would love to work with vosseleri, and uthmoelleri are my favorite species Ive ever worked with by far. The range of colors they can put out is ridiculous..and their velvety skin:D:eek:

It is great to hear your a fan of the list! Your going to have some stout competition trying to keep these out of Jurgens hands and have Tanzania send some to you though!!

Last edited:
That is a worthy issue. We as the receiver or consumer of these Kinyongia tavetana should start demanding improved export and import conditions of these chameleons. As well as make sure standards do not slip up. I recommend start talking with local wholesalers of these chameleons if there quality standards are not where they should be. As well have the wholesalers chat with the reptile farms and collecting facilities if chameleons are arriving in terrible conditions.

According to Chris's information "from 2002 through 2011 annual exports averaged 2,500 individuals" Tanzania is using most of the quota for exporting Kinyongia tavetana.

Jeremy A. Rich
I would like to hear from anyone who had sick tavs last year. I am interested to know what the issues were as you interpreted them. Mine seemed to all have some kind of viral infection (could have been bacterial but was slow moving) with the same symptoms. It was like the wholesalers were shipping them out quickly so they would die on the consumer end instead of theirs. Just my observations.

I would like to hear from anyone who had sick tavs last year. I am interested to know what the issues were as you interpreted them. Mine seemed to all have some kind of viral infection (could have been bacterial but was slow moving) with the same symptoms. It was like the wholesalers were shipping them out quickly so they would die on the consumer end instead of theirs. Just my observations.

That is a practice that is done by some wholesalers. It is one good reason to have a dependable retail or wholesaler or have a seller where you can hand pick you chameleons.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom