tanks and chams?

matt smith

hi all, im new to the whole cham world and am getting my first one soon. i have read around alot and found many concerns with tanks. some say size,stagnant air, and confusion are problems. my question is this. i have a tank that is approximatly 18 by 18 by 36. these measurements are compairable to thouse i have found for cages. the top is just wire lid so it has alot of ventilation. if i was to put something on the sides would this set up be exceptable. its not that i want to cut corners sence it wouldnt be to diff. for me to build a new cage but if this tank could work then there would be no reason to. im planing to get either a vailed or three horned. let me know what you think.

If it's no problem to build one ... do it! Then you get to use that sweet tank and raise some PYGMYS TOO!
Honestly, go for the screen. Way less complications, and your big Veiled, or not so big horned will be happier.
(I'm not kidding about the stump-tails either – they're a riot)

Search the forum for the best size and design to suit your needs.
Good luck.

im def. considering that. i love the three hornes. they are amazing creatures. like i said the tank seems to match size wise and with stuff on the walls confusion should be much of an issue. the stagnant air is the only thing im curious about. i would imagine that the air couldnt get to stagnant with an open top. or what about a small fan blowing low speed into or out of the tank. that would circulate the air without much trouble and alow the plants to grow thicker.

I still lean toward you using a screened enclosure, but will let a more senior member give you the nuts and bolts on it. (come-on, use the glass tank for some little beardeds, it's just what they would love. Check out some pictures)

imho, you need at LEAST 2 sides made from screen to get a good airflow for chameleon enclosure.

IT'S enough of a challenge keeping cham.s in the proper equipment.
I am not new to cham.s and 15 years ago i tried to do what you want to do only my tank was 70 gallons and i wanted the cool looking setup for my jackson's. they died within a month or two.
this sight is all about learning from others mistakes so that you can avoid repeating them. Fish tanks are not good for cham.s after 2 months old. YOu can believe it or figure it out for yourself. good luck

I'm with Dave. I can think of three different people who have come on this forum in the last few weeks looking for help with their dying Jackson's (which is the "three horn" you're talking about). All of them kept their Jackson's in glass tanks, and not the HIGHLY recommended screen enclosure. Same goes for Veileds, and any other arboreal chameleon species.
Dave is right, it IS all about learning from others mistakes.

And having a fan blowing into your enclosure is almost a death sentence, so don't do that. Please, just go and buy a screened enclosure.

If you think about it, glass cages are so unnatural for almost all animals. If you use a screen cage, you will be able to discount improper caging from the list of possible causes of the health problems you will face with your chameleon in the future.

thank you for all the imput i will def. go with the cage then. i wasnt sure if the fan idea would be enough that is why i even asked. if someone could give me the right dimensions for the jacksons it would be appreciated. im assuming a 18 by 18 by 36 should be adequte but im not positive.

2'x2'x4' is the best sized cage that is commercially available. a lllreptile.com they are having a sale on the 2x2x4's for $79 instead of $99.

dont forget the added stress you would put on your cham with the fan blowing on them all the time, and the reflections on the tank. Just do it right and get a screened enclosure from LLL.

thanks guys, im going to be building this myself because i have a ton of extra wood kicking around. with that being said are there any types of stump-tails available that look similar to the jacksons? i want at least one nice setup. cages are just so boring looking to me. thats the other reason im making it myself.

if you want a really unique and fun project, go out to some yard sales tomarrow and see if you can find an old cabinet, computer desk, something that looks like it has potential to be a cool cham cage.

well im in the process of trying to get my permits from the state to import a few of these beutiful creatures. hopefully i can get the state to put them on the unrestricted list. im not really sure why they arent right now. but in the mean time i have applied for both import and possesion permits and await the final dessions so i can get them. should be up and running in the next couple weeks. thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom