Tank Big Enough?

Siteofthor

I am wanting to buy a baby Veiled Chameleon tomorrow. I have a 20 gallon long tank for right now. Will this be enough for a little while? I was planning on getting a tank topper here in the next few months. Please let me know if this is workable?

Thanks,

Jon

sorry man but if its a 20gal aquarium than no. if the only ventilation it has is from the top then that will not do. you should wait till you can afford to buy or build a full screen enclosure. glass aquariums do not offer the right type of ventilation for chams. they need fresh ventilated air and without it they will get a respitory infection very quickly and this will kill them.

Well I plan on getting a screen in tank topper. But yes just the 20 gallong long for now. Do you guys have any other recommendations then for a lizard that is going to get descent size that is friendly?

I second that.
In a few months you will need another, bigger cage. Veileds grow quickly, so if you start with an enclosure for a baby/juvinile, you will need adult cage in a couple of months.
So prepare the cage first, and then buy a chameleon. And be prepared to get the big cage later!

A 20 long isn't really tall enough for a veiled chameleon, even a baby. Screen isnt neccesary, but for veileds it works very well. A proper terrarium or screen cage will be the best for a chameleon.

If you are looking for a friendly animal, a baby chameleon might not be the best choice. Some chameleons are friendly, but you wont know until it is an adult. Chameleons in general are not friendly animals (some tolerate handling better than others, and occasionally some appear to seek out humans, but most will not.) A better animal that can be handled and would be suitable for that enclosure would be a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon or maybe a snake.

yeah man 20gal long wont cut it. and chams can take months to even be okay with you putting your hand in the cage. but i am very glad that you came here and asked first before you bought the cham. most people dont do that. but anyways chams can be very rewarding animals but it is best to build their cage and get everything perfect before buy the actual cham.

Ah okay, I appreciate the advice. Could I fit 2 Leopard Geckos in my 20 gallon long then? Maybe get two females or a male and a female? Jon

A 20 long isn't really tall enough for a veiled chameleon, even a baby. Screen isnt neccesary, but for veileds it works very well. A proper terrarium or screen cage will be the best for a chameleon.

If you are looking for a friendly animal, a baby chameleon might not be the best choice. Some chameleons are friendly, but you wont know until it is an adult. Chameleons in general are not friendly animals (some tolerate handling better than others, and occasionally some appear to seek out humans, but most will not.) A better animal that can be handled and would be suitable for that enclosure would be a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon or maybe a snake.

I second that. Chameleons are awesome animals, no doubt. But if you want something you can interact with more and is more friendly - I would go with a bearded dragon. They are just cute, fun, and can be very intrested in you.
My old bearded dragon was very friendly (they are friendly animals). When I was watching tv I used to pick him up and let him run around by me and after a while he used to snuggle up at me and just chill there with me.

I've heard that bearded dragons are a lovely pet with a good size and friendly disposition! they love interaction and being held and the diet that they follow includes many of the principles of chams (crickets, hornworms etc) also I know they enjoy some fresh vegetables and fruits, I seriously considered one myself before purchasing Kevin (male panther) and would highly recommend them to a beginner or intermediate level owner!

we had a beardie as our first experience owning a reptile, he was fantastic, easy to care for and handling! unfortunately he got a tumour in one of his eyes that continued to grow and he passed away!! (vets couldn't do anything about it, cancer) we miss him and maybe someday we will get another beardie!!

my beardie wants too much attention some times.
she is the sweetest thing if i dont go to the backyard with her.
most nights if i dont say goodnight to her she will scratch the side of the cage untill i say goodnight and rub her head.
they do get a nice size and like the interaction unlike my cham.

before i put him in his current cage he used to love coming out and taking a shower or just crawl around on me. now he never wants to come out of his condo.

Back
Top Bottom