Tampa repticon = new zoo med

dshuld

Chameleon Enthusiast
Did anyone else go? We ended up with three new ball pythons and this...brand new to the market. Exo is no longer the only 36x18x36. Nice part is only a center brace unlike the exo tops.

20191109_125105.jpg

Interesting! I'll have to take a look. I really dislike the ExoTerra lids, so I'd be game for trying another brand!

Yes, if I had been smart I would've taken a pic of their display. Odd that Tampa would be the first east coast show for it but that's what the zoo med rep told me.

:unsure: I seen those at reptile shows here a year ago.

edit: ohh never mind that was the 18x18x36 I was thinking of. Very cool.

Yea, I went... been home about 2 hours. I did see them right at the booth when you came in showing it off. It seems cool, but the thing to me is that there is a local shop - also at the show - who sells a similar thing that collapses flat for storage and is a bit cheaper.

Otherwise, I haven't really been impressed with the Repticons. (We went to the Kissimmee one too) Mostly its snakes and Geckos... and a lot of people with "wild caught" assortments. I've only been able to get 1 Carolina mantis from 2 expos. Not only that, they've sold the "exclusive rights" to sell feeder bugs to ONE company.... which kinda defeats the purpose of a free market. For example, they were charging $2/ea for bigger discoids. But that's just a gripe on my part...

Otherwise, the amount of vendors, selections of leopard/crested/tookays, snakes, and spiders is great! Seems like not many folk deal in dart frogs or other inverts (yes, I understand some may be "prohibited"), chams as a whole are quite lacking. But that's good in my book as I have a clutch coming up shortly - though i do not intend on going into business in any shape or form.

Basically, it's a snakeCon. You can't get a deal on feeders when only one company can sell them. And people who had one or two chams had them in absolutely terrible husbandry - except one vendor who had the jackson and 2 adult male panthers. Even saw one guy selling females as males. Asked a guy what the sire looked like and he said it didn't matter cause they were like skittles and had every color....

But I digress... i wish i had known folk from here were going!

Edit: in my ranting I forgot to mention that I was actually attracted to the zoo med version... please add photos and a review so I know how they stack up!

Yea, I went... been home about 2 hours. I did see them right at the booth when you came in showing it off. It seems cool, but the thing to me is that there is a local shop - also at the show - who sells a similar thing that collapses flat for storage and is a bit cheaper.

Otherwise, I haven't really been impressed with the Repticons. (We went to the Kissimmee one too) Mostly its snakes and Geckos... and a lot of people with "wild caught" assortments. I've only been able to get 1 Carolina mantis from 2 expos. Not only that, they've sold the "exclusive rights" to sell feeder bugs to ONE company.... which kinda defeats the purpose of a free market. For example, they were charging $2/ea for bigger discoids. But that's just a gripe on my part...

Otherwise, the amount of vendors, selections of leopard/crested/tookays, snakes, and spiders is great! Seems like not many folk deal in dart frogs or other inverts (yes, I understand some may be "prohibited"), chams as a whole are quite lacking. But that's good in my book as I have a clutch coming up shortly - though i do not intend on going into business in any shape or form.

Basically, it's a snakeCon. You can't get a deal on feeders when only one company can sell them. And people who had one or two chams had them in absolutely terrible husbandry - except one vendor who had the jackson and 2 adult male panthers. Even saw one guy selling females as males. Asked a guy what the sire looked like and he said it didn't matter cause they were like skittles and had every color....

Awww see this is why we need chameleon forum shirts, that way we don’t miss each other at expos. What a shame y’all could have became best mates :(

Edit: in my ranting I forgot to mention that I was actually attracted to the zoo med version... please add photos and a review so I know how they stack up!

Yeah, it is kind of snakecon but that was part of why I wanted to go. I wanted to see if any one had any short tailed species (found a few, one t+ blood I really liked but my wife wasn't as enthralled as I was with it lol) and cages. Ended up with the three balls and the only available zoo med 36x18x36 I saw ($229).

I did see the few chams in crappy caging up the one aisle though. Only person I'd buy a cham from there though is Kathy at manatee suncoast. I've been to her house and seen how she cares for them. Actually have her nosy be and ambilobe blood lines in my projects.

If you're referring to the atasuki cages, I'm a big fan of them too. Have a couple already for the snakes lol. If I ever do a display style cage it'll be with the 4x19x4 version.

Hmmmmm I am looking into a cage for my canopy and this looks like it might be perfect for my crazy idea :unsure:

I walked in and took like all of a min looking at it. The zoo med rep walked over and asked if we had any questions. My only two were when did it come out and when will it hit retail. My usual haunt pcr was the only place that had one and I took it lol. While I still prefer exo for the 18x18x36, this one is by far my choice for the 36x18x36 simply for the tops.

I prefer the ZooMed 12x12x18 to the Exoterra 12x12x18 for my New Caledonian geeks. Door is 1 solid piece so I can mount feeder ledges to it and actually see who's eating and who's not better. Latch is easier to work. And it doesn't have the unnecessary cross bar on the top like the Exo Terra does.

I prefer the ZooMed 12x12x18 to the Exoterra 12x12x18 for my New Caledonian geeks. Door is 1 solid piece so I can mount feeder ledges to it and actually see who's eating and who's not better. Latch is easier to work. And it doesn't have the unnecessary cross bar on the top like the Exo Terra does.

I didn't like the tops on the other zoo med glass cage I had looked at last year. The 4 clips were a little cumbersome to me lol. This one only has two clips on the front sides. The rear slides into a small track of sorts on the back side of the trim. I'll get some better pics once I have it in place but, this gives an idea of how much more open this one is up top.

20191109_174958(1).jpg

@dshuld ...do you "collect" different morphs of ball pythons?

Not necessarily. Though snakes have always been a passion of mine, I'm more into bcc, specifically Surinames and as high lavender as possible. My wife how ever is finally catching the snake bug after having a lone ball for the last couple of years. We picked up a beautiful male banana last month though which the two females today will eventually be paired off to. She's already talking about two more females for the bpa we picked up today for future breeding projects lol.

I have also recently really become infatuated with short tail species. But their adult size concerns my wife a bit lol. Though they aren't typically as long as a bcc they are a heavier bodied snake. So for now, I just have the one 7 month old Sumatran blood.

I love snakes! Especially ball pythons. Not sure if I'll ever have room with my obsession for expensive builds and chams, though, haha!

Lol, I hear you. What really helped me was finally being told the spare bedroom could be a reptile only room now lmao.

We saw one species today she was fascinated by that at some point we'll likely end up with, Australian black headed python. There were some stunning animals available there of the species but their price turned her off quick lol.

Do you know who Corry Woods is? Have you seen his ball pythons?

I need you to speak English...not "Snakese" ...
I like snakes but I don't know any of the terms for them. Only ever had a rough green for a very short time and my son had a snow corn and an albino corn. (The rough green came with mites so I took him back to the person I bought him from and said please get rid of the mites and give me the snake back when it's clean...he thought I said get rid of the snake. Geesh. I was more than a little upset.)
Bcc...boa constrictor constrictor?
bpa???

Back
Top Bottom