Taming Techniques?

The Bearded Derek

Hello everyone, I was wondering in what way should I best try to tame my chameleon. I've seen a few videos saying similar things, sometimes different. I would like to know which technique is most effective. So far I've heard a person on Youtube saying it would be best to hold him daily or at least 5x a week. I don't know if this would stress him out that much because most of the time when I try handling him, he'll try to walk away (Even before I open the cage) and after about a minute he'll get on my finger being a normal pale green or normal brown. about 2 minutes later he might somewhat rapidly turn to a green (Sometimes darkish, sometimes light pale green) with a brilliant pattern and usually as soon as he did that, he'll either walk a bit fast or do his "Leaf dance" as I like to call it. Not sure if this means he's scared or angry but I'm highly assuming it means he's stressed in some way.I then saw a video saying hand feeding is the best technique to tame. Just a week ago I started trying to hand feed. I grabbed a cricket by the antenna (Or sometimes the back leg or the lower part of the abdomen), the second I put m hand in there he was scared, but as soon as he noticed my hand had a cricket he tried catching it immediately and ate it with no hesitation, which was a bit surprising knowing I read a couple topics saying many people had trouble trying to hand feed. The first day I got him, he was very thirsty and I didn't have a spray bottle at the time, so I got a cup, filled it with some water, dipped my finger, and hoped he drank, which in the end he gladly ran up to my hand to drink. I heard another good technique is getting his decorations and rub against you or your clothes for about 5 minutes and put it back, this way whenever he'll climb he'll smell you and eventually be used to the smell. Worked very well for a Tegu I seen on Youtube, although I assume it'll work for just about any caged animal.

So far he doesn't seem to be getting any tamer. If anyone has a technique that could help me I would appreciate the help and advice.

P.S He sometimes turns one half of his body a pale patternless lime green while the other half turns brown or dark green with a bright pattern. Anyone know what this could mean? I would appreciate if someone could tell me just about every color their mood would be.

Im no expert, but I was always told to leave them be for 2-3 weeks before handling. I would try to get him used to being handled right next to his cage first for 5 minute segments once a week, then putting him back, and repeating the next week. After he becomes tolerant of this, you can begin taking him down the hallway, then back, then to the next room, then back, etc. All in different days/weeks. Change has to be gradual!

Also, I'll send you to this link here: http://screameleons.com/how-to-handle-your-chameleon-properly/ where they explain the method to madness of how to actually handle them while limiting the amount they think you are a predator, thus, the amount of stress!

I would NOT hold him 5x a week!! Too much stress will actually shorten the lifespan of the animal.

Take it slow, be patient, and good luck!

These are my videos on my channel. I did nothing for taming. I bought them like they were 3 months old, they were very agressive. I just give their food and water, I watched them. When they are about a year old they are like my friend. They recognise me.
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGXc-NVkD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGLJTW_8lQ

So you let them learn your their friend vs making them uncomfortable?
I want to be able to hold my girl but she is very territorial

Well then, I suppose I'll just handle him for 5 minutes once a week. Forgot to mention he's 2 months old. Doesn't hiss or anything, just somewhat easily startled. Usually when I open his lid to throw in the crickets or spray he'll tend to hide or walk the opposite direction. Sometimes he'll walk away almost as soon as he sees me enter the room. Although it surprises me he readily accepts hand feeding, I thought he was starving but he seems to be the perfect shape and he'll easily eat more than 17 bugs out of my hand pretty much daily, which I was told they would eat only about 12 a day, no more than 14.

Well, It's been a while and it's gotten worse. He doesn't eat off my hand anymore, whenever I clean the cage he doesn't get close to me like before, and as soon as I enter the room, he walks away. Haven't really done anything to it lately, just normal feeding, spraying, and spot cleaning on his cage then one day he just decided not to eat out of my hand anymore. Only different thing I did is hold him less (Back then I held him about 2x-3x a week while now I hold once every week and a half, and that's if he wants to go on my hand which now he never does anymor). Also noticed today his eyes have like a grey ring around them. Not sure if it's his color or something to be concerned about. I just recently read that they'll get in a "Terrible Teen" phase and get a bit grumpy or aggressive once they get older at 6-8 months, but he's only 3 months old. Can they get it this early?

I don't handle mine at all. Except when males need moving around to mate. Then, they will come to you when you open their cage door looking for a 'good time'. For petting and handling, I have a cockerspaniel. :)

Chams have different personalities

I bought two baby female veileds, sisters, and one is mean and ornery and the other is gentle and tame. All lizards come out of their egg with a certain amount of hardwired personality and preferences, and that's what you work with. It took time for me to figure out the feisty one (appropriately named "Diva") and earn her trust and develop tameness... such as it is. I kept changing things until she presented her happy/calm colors all the time and felt safe and comfortable. Now she never runs away when I come to the cage, and often allows my hand to get near and even touch her without a hissy fit (most of the time).

Watch the colors; their skin tells you what they feel and what they want. Learn your unique cham's preferences for light or shade, for hanging out in the open or hiding, for staying in the warmer or cooler spots in the cage, and give them more of what they want. Add a stick to help them get to that special "just right" spot if that's necessary. Don't try and make a lizard fit your needs, try fitting their needs instead. You'll both feel much better.

Training

When I first got my Panther, he did not want to come out at all, but after a while of leaving the enclosure door open, he started climbing out on his own, then what I did was go for walks around my neighborhood with him on my shoulder. But I also managed to half train him not to go in my hair, it worries me he may slip and fall off. But he does good staying on my shoulder

I recently made his new enclosure and he seems to be more comfortable knowing there's more hides(More vines and leaves to keep him covered). Now that I opened his doors for the past week, just this morning he attempted biting me twice as I got a bit near him trying to rip a dead leaf off a plant. I think he's just gonna get more and more aggressive :( as he tried biting me, at the moment his colors were brown with yellow and dark stripes. Don't know if that helps. Only colors I know he changes into is light brown, brown with a pattern (yellow, and dark brown stripes) Lime green (When he's sleeping) light green with a slight pattern (Usually whenever I'm in the room or If I accidentally interrupted his sleep) and green with a very bright pattern (I assume he does that when he's angry or intimidated by something) when we first handled him in the first couple of days he was happy and open to handling and handfeeding. Now he's just easily scared and I guess either he's getting aggressive or has a bad day

should I just leave the door open longer and just hope he gets better?

My male Panther does the same thing. He will hand feed, occasionally. But, he will never come toward me. If I get too close for his comfort, he will let me know by hissing, curling his tail, puffing up and getting ready for attack. If I get closer than that, he will strike at me. And, trust me, I've seen and read of and tried all the proper tips and techniques.

He's been like this for the entire 2.5 months I've had him.

Maybe one day he will be OK with me handling him, maybe not. I'm OK with either as I know chameleons are, for the most part, a display animal.

They all have individual personalities and one can be completely different from the next.

Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom