Taking the Bad with the Good...

Julirs

Depressing week so far. :( My MBD rescue has been going downhill. I am handfeeding him, but I fear he is not long for the world. He is a little over 1 year old.

Just now I looked in on a Veiled that some forum members rehomed with me. She is 2 years and laid her first infertile clutch 2 days ago. I just looked in and she is prolapsed. I am sick. It looks like a depressing Vet trip tomorrow.

The good is that everyone else is thriving-the babies are growing.

I guess the more you keep, the more you have to potentially lose.

Poor little beasties. It probably sounds trite, but they're better off in your hands than they'd be with most, come what may.

Best of luck Julirs. I really hope things come out better than you are thinking they will.

BestWishes,
Sabrina

Juli, I sure hate to hear this and that recuse was really looking good. Hopefully, the vet will work wonders tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Jann

Good luck, I hope everything turns out well. I commend you a great deal for taking on the challenges of rescuing chameleons, I can't even imagine how difficult it must be.

With rescues, you really learn that the care provided while these guys are growing up means everything to their long term longevity. With the MBD panther, he had everything he needed in a kit from the breeder, but the purchaser did not understand the importance of supplementation. This guy has amazingly messed up legs, which only leads me to wonder how messed up he is on the inside. With the prolapsed Veiled, she was actually rescued by the people that gave her to me. The original purchaser, though a member here, was a bit lapse on many aspects of care, and I also beleive stress was an incredible part of her early life. On the other hand, females run into more of these types of problems. Having babies is not the easiest on any species. I fear that she will not make it, and unless the Vet thinks this is possible to remedy, I will have her humanely put down. I have seen my share of prolpases, and this is a complete cloacal prolapse which can almost never be fixed. I try to learn something from ever chameleons life and problems, and then share them with everyone else so they are a bit more educated and prepared for what can happen when keeping chameleons.
I thank everyone for their support, it means alot on crappy days such as this one.

You are right the more you keep the more potential for problems! Juli you can't save them all but admire your effort!:)

Nothing useful to say except that I feel for you, and the chameleons too. I'm certain you're doing the best possible. Unfortunately, things just dont always end happily. Best of luck to you and your chameleons.

My thoughts are with you. I know you've done everything you can, but some things don't turn out how you want. That's why you have cute babies!

We do appreciate all the information you share on this forum. No doubt many of us have learned from your experiences and been able to avoid some errors from things you've shared.

I hope the vet trip tomorrow turns out better than expected. Let us know as soon as you can.

Juli I have been there with a rescue panther with MBD. The vet and I worked and he lasted a year. Also went through it with a veiled, no mbd but several other problems. Those 2 were the hardest ones I have ever lost. Still i would do it all over again just to give them a good life for whatever time they have. You are doing a wonderful thing, always remember that even during your sorrow. My thought are with you.

Juli, my heart goes out to you! I had to put Nebula to sleep because of a prolapsed uterus and it broke my heart. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

As hard as it is to deal with death of a critter you have loved and cared for, every little bit of info that we glean from caring for these guys may help the next one that comes along.

Chin up and know that you are doing a great job for them and for us by sharing.

I finally got a chance to talk to the Vet. Brody had a total bowel proplapse. There is a very low sucess rate with those, and she was 2 1/2 and there was no sense in putting her through torturous procedure. I will take this time to give out some info on prolapses. In Brody's case we suspect that her vent was irritated during the egg laying process. When a chameleon starts to proplapse-their instinct is to push out whatever is irritating them. They will push and drag whatever is hanging out over branches and the side of the cage. If you find a chameleon with a prolapse, the best bet is to catch it early and remove the chameleon from the cage. A plastic container with some moist paper towel or even nothing but a little water would be best. Keep the area moist with KY jelly or water soluble lubricant and get to the Vet. The more swelling and trauma that happens the less likely the prolapse can be fixed.

RIP Brody-you were a big, beautiful girl.
DSCN4420-1.jpg

I am sorry for your loss. Brody was a beautiful girl! How's the MBD panther?

Oh Remy-the MBD panther-what a process he is! His cage has been adjusted so that all branches and plants are on the bottom of the cage. His lights are down there too. He drinks, moves around, poops, fires up, but I handfeed him every other day with fat juicy dusted crickets. His legs have always been really messed up, and I fear he will continue to weaken. :(

Sorry to hear that you lost your beautiful veiled female. I've heard of prolapsing occurring shortly after egglaying and wonder if its a calcium issue.

What has been done for Remy to correct the MBD?

Back
Top Bottom