Taking out chameleons outside question?

If I take my chameleon outside to enjoy the sun... When should I start doing it?? My chameleon is about 2-3 months old. If I start taking hin outside... Would I need to still powder my crickets with D3 calcium? How long should he be outside? Im thinking about taking him outside tomorrow but I don't want him to be mad or scared when I try to pick him up... when should I start taking him out? Is ge too young to go outside or?...

I can not help you with the d3 question. It all depends on the chameleon and your knowledge about it. If you know it's stress signs, and you have a way to get him outside it should not be a big problem. An easy way to get them out of the enclosure, is to take a cup, or a small dish, put their favorite food in it, and ultimately lure them out of the enclosure on to your hand. It will take a couple times to get used to, and i suggest you learn how to do that, or find an alternative way to handle him with minimal stress before you take him outside.
Once you have him outside, put him a safe plant and let him bask. Look out for stress signs and signs of over heating. If it does not appear to be stressed or over heated you can leave him there for as long as he wishes

try putting him out for a few hours a week, as i would still dust with d3 two times a month like normal. i would cut back on the d3 if he is outside a majority of the time, eg more than 10 hours a week. again, this is just my opinion on what I do with my guy, and it is different for every chameleon.

If I take my chameleon outside to enjoy the sun... When should I start doing it?? My chameleon is about 2-3 months old. If I start taking hin outside... Would I need to still powder my crickets with D3 calcium? How long should he be outside? Im thinking about taking him outside tomorrow but I don't want him to be mad or scared when I try to pick him up... when should I start taking him out? Is ge too young to go outside or?...

Every time I have a question like this, I think about what the chameleons are like in the wild. To answer yours, I believe it is never too soon to get them out to the sun (temperature and weather allowing). I would still dust with D3 twice a month.

As long at the temp is warm, taking him out is great. Are you putting him in a small cage or what? It might stress him for you to hold him for a couple of hours. I would not change my supplement schedule unless he is getting lots of outside time. When he is out you need to make sure he is able to get out of the sun should he want to, and if it is fairly warm I always mist my chams when they are outside, as the direct sun can get warm fast.

oh, and to get him out of his cage, try putting a plant that is easily moved in front of it, but make it so its higher than his plant, like hold it up higher, and he should climb it in his instinct to get higher than you, then he won't get mad when you pick him up. good luckkk

Most chameleons are born outside. There isn't really an age limit. How are you going to keep him outside?

As long at the temp is warm, taking him out is great. Are you putting him in a small cage or what? It might stress him for you to hold him for a couple of hours. I would not change my supplement schedule unless he is getting lots of outside time. When he is out you need to make sure he is able to get out of the sun should he want to, and if it is fairly warm I always mist my chams when they are outside, as the direct sun can get warm fast.

I THINK my chameleon is 2-3 months old. I put hin in a 18x18x36 screen cage. Hopebits not too big for him?

Even if you take him outside still give him the d3 a couple of times a month just to ensure he is getting d3. unless he is going to be primarily living outside or outside most of the day I would not stop the D3. They can go outside at any age. The natural sunlight is great for them. Just make sure they have good shade(along with an area of sun to bask), water and protection from predators whether it be a screen cage, or you sitting there watching them. I live in florida and my chameleon is outside for hours at a time. It does get very hot here now with our summer approaching so I have to watch for overheating and I move him in the house to cool off. If you see your chameleon sitting with his mouth open outside while basking it is ok if it is for a very short, brief time. He is thermoregulating his body. If he continues to do it for any length of time then bring him inside if you have AC to cool down. When my weather is in the 70's and 80's he pretty much is out there all day long.

It also depends on the temperature as to whether its okay to take the chameleon outside too.

Good point. I was thinking about the heat and not the cold. I think he lives in Arizona if I recall, so I was thinking about it being hot with it being Spring.

Even if you take him outside still give him the d3 a couple of times a month just to ensure he is getting d3. unless he is going to be primarily living outside or outside most of the day I would not stop the D3. They can go outside at any age. The natural sunlight is great for them. Just make sure they have good shade(along with an area of sun to bask), water and protection from predators whether it be a screen cage, or you sitting there watching them. I live in florida and my chameleon is outside for hours at a time. It does get very hot here now with our summer approaching so I have to watch for overheating and I move him in the house to cool off. If you see your chameleon sitting with his mouth open outside while basking it is ok if it is for a very short, brief time. He is thermoregulating his body. If he continues to do it for any length of time then bring him inside if you have AC to cool down. When my weather is in the 70's and 80's he pretty much is out there all day long.

Oh on thanks. I guess I'll take hin out side maybe once or twice a week. It gets very hot here too during the summer since I live in Vegas. Guess I have to monitor him since it's kinda hot and cold right now. Ima take him outside today to see if he likes it :D

I take my 12 month old Veiled out side any time i can when we have sunny days this time of year. He loves it let him walk about free in the low trees in the garden. means he gets fresh air and free sunlight :)

Back
Top Bottom