Tail trouble

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
So today Amaro has been pretty outgoing and decided to check out the front branches of his cage, then went onto the screen towards the edges. I checked his temperatures to make sure he wasn't unhappy and they were fine, and as I was closing his door I think very very tip of his tail got pinched. But not really pinched, because the tip wasn't poking out the other Side, like, his tail got pressed between the frames very briefly, and I didn't shut the door all the way when it happened. the tail doesn't have any discolouration, he bends it fine and grabs onto things with his tail, but he wont straighten the very tip. like its always curved downwards very slightly, though it straightens when he needs to grab something. Im just so worried ive got bad luck with tails, my beardie just got two amputations on his I don't want that for amaro.

Why do I have so much trouble with doors and screen, first he falls twice off of it now he gets his tail stuck

Since this seems to be an ongoing issue, you just need to learn from your mistakes and triple-check that he isn't anywhere near the door when you open/close it. It is entirely in your power to prevent this from happening.

Agreed that pics would help

I will try my best to get a photo, he's still very skittish.

As for the beardie, he first he got it stuck under something in his cage, as there was a laceration and a break 2-3 inches up from the tip of his tail. It started to turn necrotic so we got it amutated. Then he managed to do it again, even with every single thing out of his cage. Had to get another 4-5 inches amputated. He is now pretty much tailless. Only 4 inches of tail left, poor guy. Doing great though.

Hes never gotten his tail stuck before, but he has fallen before when I spooked him. He fully recovered from the shock of that.
He was on the front screen of the cage, and there wasn't anyway I could touch him or move him off of it before closing, as he would likely jump away and fall. He moved his tail into the crack right as I was closing it.

Okay so I have one picture of it wrapped around something. I don't have one of it by itself with an example of the slight bend though.

This is about the angle when its bent. I little drawing cause I couldn't get a photo.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 3.50.15 PM.png

And here's it wrapped around a branch

IMG_2263 2.jpg

I want to avoid anything involving amputations and surgery if possible. If a vet visit is needed I will do it asap but if he can live a happy healthy life with a slightly bent tip I am fine with that. he seems to use his tail fine. Basking and eating well.

I can’t see much from the photo, but the best advice I can offer is that you spend a couple hours whatching him, when the moment presents himself, get a pic, and monitor the situation until then. It wouldn’t hurt to book a vet appointment for a few days from now, and collect fecal samples while you wait. The latter is not related to the injury, but it’s helpful to have a fecal for the first visit. Again, I can’t tell much from the pic, but it doesn’t look obviously damaged. There are several members who might have more experienced opinions than me—members I know are more dedicated to helping than anything that might leave them apprehensive. Try @JoXie411, @GoodKarma19, and @Brodybreaux25 . All have very insightful things to say.

I will have to wait for an opening in my vets appointment schedules but I will see when I can book one. I spend a lot of time up here with him for bonding purposes so I think ill be able to snag a photo when he calms down a bit from me constantly poking around trying to get a photo of him lol.

He is currently basking so ill see what I can get.

He is still at the stage where small movements still spook him so I don't know if ill be able to get a good quality shot even if I get one.

Don’t loose your cool! Tails get nipped at breeders all the time: they recover.

Im just worried-- Mars had to get 2 surgeries in the timeframe of 6 weeks. 200 bucks a pop not including pain and antibiotic medication. Not only this but I was afraid he would die from the after effects of the surgeries so close together.
Ahh I just worry too much lol

Mars is the tail amputee though you probably guessed that lol

got this one:
IMG_2277.jpg

slight bend but no discoloration (kinda looks like it from the shadows in the pic)

Staring at me like "the hell you lookin at"

Advice: book a vet appointment, don’t stress too much, bring a fecal to the vet when you go for expediency’s sake.

I will see if I can snag an appointment. Two problems though,
(1) very unlikely I can get into the vet within a week, maybe after that (2) very unlikely I can even get him out of his cage.

Get in with the vet as soon as you can; keep an eye in the meantime; wear gloves...;)

Yes gloves will be needed, hes a sassy boy for sure lol.

What do I do if it starts to turn discolored before I get to the vet?

Yes gloves will be needed, hes a sassy boy for sure lol.

What do I do if it starts to turn discolored before I get to the vet?
Again, I am not an animal medical professional, and I can only tell you what I’d do. First, continue feeding and hydrating and monitor that. Those are your two big indicators: if he’s eating and drinking, that’s a great sign. Next, keep in mind that tail injuries are not uncommon, and many babies get their tails nipped by cage mates, and come out of it just fine. Discolouration is probably inevitable, as chams bruise easy. Last, please don’t forego the vet visit if it seems to improve. The cost is well worth it.

Oh no the vet visit is happening. Even if he will hate me forever because of it lol

Right after it happened he was basking like normal and Ill make sure to watch and see if he drinks when I mist him in an hour. He already ate before this happened so i'll watch for that tomorrow aswell.

Thank you so much for the help!

I’m not sure I was that much help, but as with everything that means a lot to us, we tend to overreact or become hyper vigilant.

It looked like he drank a bit when I watered him, which is good since I actually don't see him drinking often since I normally can't see him when I do( I could see the tip of his nose). He pooped while I was misting him and as I was reaching in to get it (it was near him) he hissed and puffed up at me. Still got his spirit lol. Hopefully he eats tomorrow.

You’re both going to get through this, and I have the utmost confidence that you’ll break the 10 year record!

Back
Top Bottom