T8 vs T5

So I still have all my chameleons but started breeding Leaf Tail Geckos this year ! Normally use my Arcadia T5s for my chameleons and raise them up some for my geckos. T5s are definitely more intense right? I just bought a new bakers rack and can't raise the light up much (bc the above shelf) so am thinking about switching to T8 for my geckos. Question. Will a reptisun T8 5.0 fit in an Arcadia T5 fixture ? .. or do I need to buy the whole t8 setup ? Reptisun fixture is pretty expensive for the 48" 🙄🙄

What is the UVI output you need for your geckos? Depending on species and total distance you may want a T5. Most T8 fixtures depending on bulb strength you have to have the distance quite close to get the UVI level needed. For example a T8 with a 5.0 or 6% bulb will only have an output distance of 2 inches to achieve a UVI level of 3. A T8 with a 10.0 or 12% bulb will only have an output distance of 5 inches to achieve a UVI 3 UVI level.

Arcadia is also making a new line of UVB T5 options with their shade dweller bulbs.

arcadia lighting guide will tell you UVI level needed at basking for a particular species https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/guide/

Back
Top Bottom