t5ho lighting options

Couple questions as I have never used any t5 lighting.. I'm looking to get at least 4 double bulb fixtures and I have been trying to price up some stuff online.. I need 24" fixtures and I have checked lightyourreptiles.com.. as I know they are highly regarded around here.. but what are some other options? I'm not saying I'm not going with lyr just want to weigh my options.. I know so far the hardware fixtures I've priced will end up being around the same cost as the lyr fixtures after bulbs and not look half the quality.. but the double fixtures seem to be sold out a lot at lyr.. is there anything else?

Secondly I have seen some hardware fixtures all advertised as 24" fixtures.. but the reptisun bulb is a 22".. do these 24" fixtures take the 22" bulb? None of them really specify bulb size and as I said I'm not familiar with t5ho

Thanks in advance

You can get a couple T5 high output Ballasts like workhorse model five or seven and a couple reflectors and a couple and end caps for half the price of anything you can buy. It's really as simple as connecting the wires to a power supply and the other wires to the end caps

You can get a couple T5 high output Ballasts like workhorse model five or seven and a couple reflectors and a couple and end caps for half the price of anything you can buy. It's really as simple as connecting the wires to a power supply and the other wires to the end caps

If a person were to do that, where would you suggest buying from? The prices I've gotten for DIY were actually more once I added it all up.

Bought a nice slim t5 fixture for a fairly reasonable price like $65 its 48" I wanna say, came bulb and all

Also any opinions on this fixture http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52121p.htm

Great price however heard a few bad reviews

I am a huge proponent of these fixtures and have used them for A LONG time. I was using them on aquariums before I got into chameleons. These are good fixtures. I use these same fixtures for my baby rearing room. They have been nothing but reliable for me. I just replace one of the bulbs with a reptisun 10.0 and remove the plastic splash guard and they are good to go.

I have two of these: http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=52323P&CartID=1

I've had them for a while and have been very happy with them. They have a single cord and built in timer. You can control the front two bulbs, back two bulbs and led "moonlights" separately. I switched out one of the 6500K bulbs for a reptisun T5 10.0 .

The fixture he is looking at does not have the timer or moonlight LED's. I have the quad fixtures over my Adult cages and LOVE them. I DO NOT however use the moonlight LED's.

Distortionz, if you will have any live plants and have the 48" tall cage, I would recommend going with the quad fixture, with or without the built in timer.

Thank you lp and yeah I will be having plants in the enclosures.. I bought one of the dual fixtures right now to try out and see how it goes.. and if I liked it I was going to get some of the quad fixtures.. I'm glad to hear some good reviews on them because they are the least expensive on the market.. I've read where some people said the original models actually caught fire but that that problem is fixed now.. but I've also read reviews where the ballast go out in days-weeks.. thanks everybody for your input.. hope to hear more

Most of the past problems that I have heard about involved the Metal Halide fixtures for reef tanks. I have only had one ballast go bad on me and the company replaced it promptly for me. I have not had any issues since.

Lightyourreptiles.com has excellent products. Shoot Todd an email explaining exactly what your looking for and he will tell you what you need. The customer service and quality of product is why I'll be using them for all future lighting needs

I have the dual 24" fixture and its impressive how much light is put out. My pothos and chameleon are growing like weeds.

I have also priced out the fixtures going with something else on the T5's. But really lightyourreptile.com has the best ones. Since I got my first one I wouldn't have any others. Now, I love the blue moonlight lead's. My lights run like this, 6:30am to 7:30pm for two of the lights, then from 8am to 5pm is the second set of lights, then from 7:30pm to 10pm is the blue lights. Now from the 8-5 set of lights all 4 bulbs are on and yes wow the bright light. I now have 2 quads and 1 double. I only wish the double had the blue led's with them. For the chameleon cage I just finished it will have a quad, on backorder right now. So mine should come in by Feb.

Another vote for Odyssea fixtures. I have them on all my chams and all of my fish tanks. Not had any problems with them. In fact i drop a quad bulb Odyssea fixture into one fish tank by accident. Unplugged it and let it sit overnight. It fired up perfect the next day.
Now the arcadia bulbs are great but I have 3 LYR fixtures that didn't even last 1 year without some problems.

Another vote for Odyssea fixtures. I have them on all my chams and all of my fish tanks. Not had any problems with them. In fact i drop a quad bulb Odyssea fixture into one fish tank by accident. Unplugged it and let it sit overnight. It fired up perfect the next day.
Now the arcadia bulbs are great but I have 3 LYR fixtures that didn't even last 1 year without some problems.

I do agree that I have had problems with the fixtures from LYR but Todd has been great to fix the issues and replace. My largest quad I have had nothing but problems with and finally had to buy a new one. Now no issues on any of them.

On these Odyssea fixtures do they come with the bulbs? Are the blue moon lights included? It reads that it supports it but doesn't read that it comes with it. I would be interested in the fixture and using LYR bulbs with it.

I do agree that I have had problems with the fixtures from LYR but Todd has been great to fix the issues and replace. My largest quad I have had nothing but problems with and finally had to buy a new one. Now no issues on any of them.

On these Odyssea fixtures do they come with the bulbs? Are the blue moon lights included? It reads that it supports it but doesn't read that it comes with it. I would be interested in the fixture and using LYR bulbs with it.

I buy the ones with 4 65k bulbs. I replace one with a UV bulb and one Plant bulb i get from aquatraders.

I just purchased

Tropic Blaze™ HO T5 24" Quad Fixture WITH Arcadia 12% Bulb & 2 6.5k Daylight Bulbs and Free Plant PRO Bulb from light your reptile.

I just purchased

Tropic Blaze™ HO T5 24" Quad Fixture WITH Arcadia 12% Bulb & 2 6.5k Daylight Bulbs and Free Plant PRO Bulb from light your reptile.

Thank you. :)
It is on its way to you today.
I think you will be delighted with it.:D
Cheers
Todd

I agree with Todd, you will be extremely pleased with his quad fixture! They are by far the very best on the market.

Back
Top Bottom