T. cristatus, an impromptu Q and A with Mario Jungmann Part 3

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Breeding information:
1. Can cristatus be bred anytime, or are they seasonal breeders?

Yes they are. They are triggered by the rainy season in nature.

2. If seasonal, how do you go about mimicking the seasonal change that will induce breeding?

Not much, breeding in captivity is triggered by the condition of the males. When males are becoming restless and more “fired-up” during the day it is time to introduce them to the females.

3. Are cristatus eager breeders, or are they more reserved?

No they are not. The can be considered drama queens. Male seem to prefer the jump and grab method so if breeding does not occur during the first hours separate the animals. Or the male just shows off one time and then jumps and hides.... As this a quite docile species most keepers are keeping them together. As the animals are becoming to familiar with each other breeding instincts are not triggered. So best Is to separate the animals.

4. How do you know if a female is receptive? Gravid?

Females do not show any other coloration but are very aggressive when they spot a male if they are gravid.

5. How long does breeding last?

Minutes to halve an hour. They do breed multiple times till the female does not allow the male to come close.

6. What is the gestation length for female cristatus? What is the incubation length?

I have experienced different gestation periods, I had even a female that gestated her eggs for 4 months.

7. How many eggs do female cristatus lay?
What laying techniques do you use?

I only had small clutched up to 12 eggs. Laying bin does not seem to work well for them. They choose the most “beautiful and densely potted plant and dig out the root system and lay the eggs tightly/compacted together between the roots and utterly destroy your plant....

a. What medium do you use for a lay-bin?

Pot medium...

b. Do you allow females to lay in their cages, or remove them to a separate container?

They don’t like to be moved.

c. How do you incubate cristatus eggs? What temperature and moisture levels do you incubate cristatus eggs at? Is there a diapause?

Eggs are put in a vermiculite mix of fine and a bit larger granules. Mix should be moist and eggs buried so only the tops show. No diapause is required and eggs will hatch between 9 and 12 months.

d. What tips can you share about breeding cristatus, and the incubations process?

Have patience...

Other pertinent information:
1. Are there any important topics I have missed?

Ventilation. Trioceros critatus lives I a moist environment but stale/still air kills. Air movement is very important for all montane species. So I use ventilators.

2. What are some of your thoughts about the species?

It a wonderful species to work with. They are a visible species and when exposed to the right conditions and husbandry techniques they will thrive and can be bred to several generations.

Back
Top Bottom