T. cristatus, an impromptu Q and A with Mario Jungmann Part 2

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Cage information:
1. What size of cage do you use for your cristatus?

Typical 50 x 50 x 90 cm (LxWxH)
2. What type of cage (screen, glass, hybrid)?

Full sceen or hybrid (but at least 2 sides screen)

3. How are your cristatus cages planted?

Heavy, heavy, heavy. They are an undergrowth species so are always between the preferable large leaved plants.

4. Do you use a substrate with your cristatus? Why or why not?

I use none. I have the plants in trays so I can keep the floor free and clean.

Cage parameters information:

1. What ambient temperatures do you keep your cristatus at? Is this the same for males/females/gravid individuals?

Between 21 and 24C. Yeas they are an equatorial species so temperature is quite constant throughout the year.

2. Are cristatus baskers, and do you provide a basking light? What temperature do find ideal as a basking temperature?

No, they are not. As they are an undergrowth species the tend to keep in the shade and rely on the ambient temperature. I use low level halogens for some heat, but the never seem to be under there.

3. Do you use a night-time temperature drop? What temperature is the ideal night-time temperature?

Minimum drop. So ideally around 18C

4. What kind of UVB do you use with cristatus? What is the maximum UVI your cristatus can access in their cages? What UVI do you aim for at basking level? What are the UVI levels where your cristatus spend most of their time?

For all our montane species (including cristatus) we use the same configuration and conditions. So we start out with a 10.0 UVB High-output T5 tube so the animals can be exposed to a high level of UV if the choose to. The middle of the cages have a UVI of 2 to 4. And in the top part round 6 to 8. But due to the heavy foilage and planting only the top part is exposed. The animals only seem to be up at that level during the morning and descend to the lower part during the rest of the day not getting much UV exposure.

5. What humidity levels do you use for cristatus? Do they vary between night and day?

During the day the cages are misted 4 times a day by an automatic rain system for several minutes. So humidity stays high between 60 and 70% during the night humidity goes up to 100%

6. What hydration methods do you use? Misters/drippers/foggers?

All of the above!

7. Are your cristatus active drinkers? Is a dripper suitable/useful?

Drinkers no but the love humidity so a dripper should only be used in addition of misters/foggers.

8. What is your misting schedule?

Early morning at 8:30 and 9:00 AM and at night at 19:00 and 20:00 the cages are misted by an automatic rain system for 1 minute at the time. Foggers are turned on a 19:00 at night till 23:00 and turn on at 6:00 AM. As the cages are quite wet after the misting the humidity stays high during the night. (I don’t leave any equipment on a night due to some bad experiences with electric fires...)

Feeding and supplementation information:
1. What kinds of feeders do you use for your cristatus? Are there any that are favoured by your specimens?

I use all kind of prey insects. But mainly crickets (4 species) They seem to be more interested in darker specimens. I do feed the flies and small grasshoppers but it is not their favorite. The seem to have a fascination for caterpillars and waxworms. So silkworms and waxworms are on the menu.

2. Can you describe your insect nutrition regime (gutload)?

All insects that arrive at our facilities are unpacked and housed in large containers where they are fed fresh vegetables and fruit.

3. What, if any, supplement dusts do you use with cristatus?

Polen and additional calcium.

4. What dusting/supplement schedule do you follow for cristatus?

Pollen and calcium mix at every feed.

5. Do they ever show signs of over-supplementation?

I never use vitamin supplements for any montane species. Their renal system and liver seem not to process that well and gout and edema will appear when over supplemented.

Back
Top Bottom