Syringe Feeding trouble

Herocleasin

Okay so I made a post about this earlier about how I have to syringe feed Archie for a while, and I said how yesterday I hate it but I'll do it, now I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I feel like Archie is getting WAY too stressed when I try to syringe feed him, he scurries away from the syringe and when it comes close he hisses and bites at it. He also turns a really stressy color (a really light green with black dots) and breathes really heavily. I'm no doctor but I know stress is NOT good for his health, and by feeding him like this he's getting REALLY stressed out, which is stressing me out.

The method I'm using of force feeding him is grabbing him behind the mandibles, very softly, and giving him the medication while he opens his mouth. Every time I approach with my fingers, he tries to get away, and the same happens when I approach with the syringe.

Okay so I made a post about this earlier about how I have to syringe feed Archie for a while, and I said how yesterday I hate it but I'll do it, now I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I feel like Archie is getting WAY too stressed when I try to syringe feed him, he scurries away from the syringe and when it comes close he hisses and bites at it. He also turns a really stressy color (a really light green with black dots) and breathes really heavily. I'm no doctor but I know stress is NOT good for his health, and by feeding him like this he's getting REALLY stressed out, which is stressing me out.

The method I'm using of force feeding him is grabbing him behind the mandibles, very softly, and giving him the medication while he opens his mouth. Every time I approach with my fingers, he tries to get away, and the same happens when I approach with the syringe.
After some more panic research I've found there really is no other way to give him his medication given his certain situation, which sucks but I suppose I'll cope with it. Now my only problem is handling him for the situation. Before I had to give him his medication, he would just get onto my hand, but now he's getting as far away from my hand as possible. Any suggestions on how I should get him onto my hand or something he can grip onto?

Sorry to hear you are going through this trouble. I know it is stressful for you and Archie. It just sucks that they don’t understand we are trying to help. Is there any way you can coat the meds on a feeder?

Back
Top Bottom