Swollen toe

albert the veiled

I have a 1yr old male veiled with a swollen toe on his back left foot, He just shed last week. I keep him in a LRG Repti Breeze inclosure. Could he have hurt it on the screen?

If the toe is swollen, its likely infected and you will need to take it to a vet to have the infection cleaned out, a culture and sensitivity test done and an appropriate antibiotic.

Is the toe nail still there?

yes the tonail is still there. I cleaned it good with mild soap and put some triple antibotic ointment on it.. No pics yet but will be posting some soon. I live in Darlington IN. I will check it in the morning. He went to his sleeping spot and is looks like he will be sleeping soon. POOR LIL GUY!!

My female also has a swollen toe. She has lost the nail though whilst laying her first clutch. I will be taking her back to the vet this week as the first lot of antibiotics haven't helped!

Please keep me posted Miss Lily, It sounds like we are in the same boat... I am going to keep a close eye on him. I dont want it to get any worse...

Please keep me posted Miss Lily, It sounds like we are in the same boat... I am going to keep a close eye on him. I dont want it to get any worse...

Well she has already started hers on antibiotics, which would probably be a good idea for yours as well. You said he was already going to sleep yesterday at 4:30pm, is that when the lights go off? It's really early if so and if not sleeping during the day could mean that the infection is already spreading from his toe. Sleeping during the day is a sign of sickness. Perhaps you should get your guy to the vet before it gets any worse.

He usually goes to sleep with the sunset and wakes when the sun rises, He seems ok this morning. I will call the vet today and see what they say. He is not favoring the foot and climbing ok.

Well she has already started hers on antibiotics, which would probably be a good idea for yours as well. You said he was already going to sleep yesterday at 4:30pm, is that when the lights go off? It's really early if so and if not sleeping during the day could mean that the infection is already spreading from his toe. Sleeping during the day is a sign of sickness. Perhaps you should get your guy to the vet before it gets any worse.

Amy has had one 6 day course of Baytril, but with their slow metabolism I don't think that it was long enough to do much good. She will be returning to the vets sometiem this week, and I hope to see my usual vet this time!

I called my vet and cant get a hold of them :(.. I have been cleaning his foot with mild soap and putting antibacterial ointment on it. The nail is ok but the toe is still swollen. He seems to be ok and letting me hold his foot to treat it, I think he knows that I am trying to help. I cleaned his cage out and put a clean towel in the bottom. Will keep you posted...

The longer you leave the toe if it is infected the more likely it will be that the infection will spread through the chameleon's system.

Back
Top Bottom