Swollen/Itchy eye-please help

cwragg

I have had my veiled cham for about 6 months now. So far shes always eaten, healthy and very active. She still appears to be eating well and still very active but this morning I noticed her eye was a little swollen and later I caught her itching it on a branch which I had never seen her do before. I rinsed her eye with some warm water, but I'm still really worried about her. I have her in a screen cage. I will attatch pics

Attachments

• 20130830_095733.jpg
    20130830_095733.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 280
  • 20130830_094622.jpg
    20130830_094622.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
"Swollen Eyes
Puffy swollen eyes, or blobs just under the eyes, most commonly indicate a blocked nasolacrimal duct, a local infection or a sinus infection. If the nasolacrimal duct is blocked it can cause debris to build up behind it and the duct may need to be flushed. If an infection is present then antibiotics may be required. Pus from infections in reptiles is very thick and not liquid like in mammals, so while antibiotics are usually started to battle these infections the pus from them will often remain. Sometimes the sinus or eye socket needs to be opened with minor surgery by a veterinarian to remove the pus from the infection."

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/head-neck/

I would suggest taking her to the vet to get some antibiotics.

I made an appointment with my local vet office for tomorrow morning...thanks!!

Also, is this extremely common? What can I do to prevent this?

yes, fairly common in Veilds especially. Not sure the reason and not sure if there is any way to prevent it. I am not sure if anyone knows the cause. I have seen alot of cases on here of this. Glad you are getting him to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom