Swollen hornworm?

Toasty987

Hey everyone. Does anyone have experience with hornworms squirming around with swollen legs? Why is this happening? They just roll around, and somehow getting a bit wet? There’s no moisture in any of my boxes with hornworms and none of my other works are wet. I clean the boxes every day as well as change the food daily. 4 of my worms are doing this now? Please help

Attachments

• BE7E15F4-B670-47E5-9919-FA638C2FBED5.jpeg
    BE7E15F4-B670-47E5-9919-FA638C2FBED5.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 42
The wetness is probably from them leaking. I’ve no idea why they’re all swelling up, but it sounds like it may be some sort of disease that they’ve got. I’d say to toss the afflicted ones.

Hey everyone. Does anyone have experience with hornworms squirming around with swollen legs? Why is this happening? They just roll around, and somehow getting a bit wet? There’s no moisture in any of my boxes with hornworms and none of my other works are wet. I clean the boxes every day as well as change the food daily. 4 of my worms are doing this now? Please help
Can't tell from pic but they swell up and get thicker when ready to pupate. Still ok to feed then.

If you've had them for a while and they grew significantly before this, then they are probably getting ready to pupate and their legs are just going through ~changes~. Put them in some moist dirt. Then wait for them to emerge as moths. Your chameleon will love them. They do secrete fluids before pupating, that's why I'm thinking it's that.

Back
Top Bottom