Swollen hind leg

radstusky

Avid Member
Today I noticed that Drake's rear hind leg is swollen and he seems to be favoring the other one. I took some pics, see below. Also, since I do research in X-ray imaging at work, I took a couple of X-rays which I'll share here. I sent these to my vet, but I'd also like to hear any professional opinions out there. I'm putting them both regular and "inverted" since these were taken digitally I'm used to seeing them inverted compared to what vets would normally see.

thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that Drake is having problems. I am by no means an expert but when one of my guys has a swollen leg the first thing my vet does is order an x-ray to see if it's fractured. If not fractured then he orders blood work to rule out gout and check for infection. Then if it's not broke and not gout he may do a biopsy to check further for infection or sometimes says it could be injured or he could have a spring. The very best to Drake and you. I sure hope he will be ok.

The tibia is abnormal. On the side of the bone closest to the body there are a few irregular lumps. I can circle them later when I get to a computer to point them out. Since there are two legs affected rather than just one I'd be pretty concerned about gout. You didn't mention how old he is. Gout won't always be seen radiographically but bloodwork is next to determine uric acid levels.

The tibia is abnormal. On the side of the bone closest to the body there are a few irregular lumps. I can circle them later when I get to a computer to point them out. Since there are two legs affected rather than just one I'd be pretty concerned about gout. You didn't mention how old he is. Gout won't always be seen radiographically but bloodwork is next to determine uric acid levels.

I think I see what you're talking about, near the midpoint of the tibia. He's about 3.5 years old. I emailed the same pics to my vet, and his response was that, although he can't say 100%, it looks like "early fibrous osteodystrophy =metabolic bone disease" and that if so I should increase the calcium and D3. I'll go ahead and do that and monitor him closely. Today I did gave him calc. with D3, plus he ate a good-sized hornworm.

What is the treatment if it's gout?

Unfortunately there isn't really a treatment if it's gout. Allopurinol is the medication used in people for gout to help decrease blood uric acid levels before they can crystallize further, but it is not as effective in reptiles as it is in people. And you can't do much for the crystals that have already formed. Increased hydration and pain medications are about all you can do to keep them comfortable.

I would contact Carol here on the forum

her male sambava had gout, and she was working with her vet to deal with it.

she would have more info on what she did to treat it.

her sn here is carol5208

I would contact Carol here on the forum

her male sambava had gout, and she was working with her vet to deal with it.

she would have more info on what she did to treat it.

her sn here is carol5208

Actually Jess I know this member quite well as he has Romeo's brother and we have been friends for quite awhile!!. Honestly, I really did not do anything as Ferrit said there really is no treatment. From what I understand and have learned in extreme cases the tophi(uric acid crystals) an be surgically removed. Romeo's gout never showed up on xrays but his bloodwork did show high uric acid levels.

In my Oscar's case there are some tophi near his elbows but his uric acid levels are normal. It's a crappy disease because there's really nothing you can do about it. :( I have seen happier colors while Oscar is on pain meds so the bet you can do is keep them comfortable. But diagnosis is still missing without bloodwork.

Back
Top Bottom