Swollen eye

lionsgate7

Hey guys I have a Veiled Chameleon named Pascal and today I noticed he’s got some major eye swelling in one of his eyes his other owner and I noticed he has been rubbing that eye a bit, but we figured it was because of his shed but now we have no clue what’s going on. We are working on getting him to a vet but I figured I’d ask for some help. If you guys have any ideas what it could be I’d really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 0914E2D9-B6B1-4656-A445-FC15AABF901C.jpeg
    0914E2D9-B6B1-4656-A445-FC15AABF901C.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 2C8BF66A-67F3-41C2-95A7-7A1EBF7CAA29.jpeg
    2C8BF66A-67F3-41C2-95A7-7A1EBF7CAA29.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 184C4CBF-E234-4E98-B24B-2E909FE48F28.jpeg
    184C4CBF-E234-4E98-B24B-2E909FE48F28.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 139
  • E10936E1-30BB-49DD-B690-EABCB89168F6.jpeg
    E10936E1-30BB-49DD-B690-EABCB89168F6.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 133
OH MY.... This would be a vet with reptile experience thing. It could be as simple as he got some moss or pieces off the jungle vines stuck in it. There are a few issues with the enclosure that I am seeing. But I am also seeing that he had a prior thermal burn spine and top of casque. Was this treated by a vet?

How old is this boy?

@kinyonga have you seen anything like this?

OH MY.... This would be a vet with reptile experience thing. It could be as simple as he got some moss or pieces off the jungle vines stuck in it. There are a few issues with the enclosure that I am seeing. But I am also seeing that he had a prior thermal burn spine and top of casque. Was this treated by a vet?

How old is this boy?

@kinyonga have you seen anything like this?
We’ve talked a vet about his burns and stuff and he’s about 2 yrs old. What kind of issues are you seeing? He is our first Chameleon and we did do a lot of research beforehand as well as still doing some. His other owner has had desert lizards before and this is our first tropic one so any tips to improve his lifestyle would be greatly appreciated

We’ve talked a vet about his burns and stuff and he’s about 2 yrs old. What kind of issues are you seeing? He is our first Chameleon and we did do a lot of research beforehand as well as still doing some. His other owner has had desert lizards before and this is our first tropic one so any tips to improve his lifestyle would be greatly appreciated
How long ago were the burns? The reason why I ask is that burns can cause infections and with him having the burn on the casque and the eye having issues. I am wondering how recent the burn was?

Little man is a little overweight you can tell by his casque not being slim but pudgy. Plastic plants are not recommended since they will try to eat them same with the moss. Both of those would be an impaction risk. The jungle vines your using (black ones) are known to cause issues because the coating comes off. When they shed and rub their faces on stuff they can get pieces of the coating stuck down in the eye turret.

This link below would be a great resource to learn accurate husbandry. I know online it is always a crap shoot if the info is right or not :)
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

We can also do a husbandry review for you if you like. He is a handsome translucent Veiled. Welcome to the forum :)

How long ago were the burns? The reason why I ask is that burns can cause infections and with him having the burn on the casque and the eye having issues. I am wondering how recent the burn was?

Little man is a little overweight you can tell by his casque not being slim but pudgy. Plastic plants are not recommended since they will try to eat them same with the moss. Both of those would be an impaction risk. The jungle vines your using (black ones) are known to cause issues because the coating comes off. When they shed and rub their faces on stuff they can get pieces of the coating stuck down in the eye turret.

This link below would be a great resource to learn accurate husbandry. I know online it is always a crap shoot if the info is right or not :)
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

We can also do a husbandry review for you if you like. He is a handsome translucent Veiled. Welcome to the forum :)
The burns happened around a year ago, they have fully healed up and it isn’t bothering him. We are actually planning on getting him a bio active enclosure and getting him different plants and climbing things, we’re just saving up for it. I seriously appreciate the help guys and thank you he’s honest a sweet goofy boy!!

I have see eyes like that a couple of times. One chameleon I had with eye cancer had an eye that was swollen like that and another one came to me with an eye swollen like that due to a sinus infection. There are too many possibilities when it come to eyes...so IMHO the best option is to see a good chameleon vet ASAP. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom