Swollen eye on panther chameleon HELP plz

Mlz825

I have a female panther chameleon that is about 8 months old and I go to give her some water today n I see that her eye is swollen and she's kinda squinting and won't look forward with the swollen eye

Attachments

• IMG_20130718_162005.jpg
    IMG_20130718_162005.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 228
Yes she shed about a Month ago but she might b shedding again idk....but as soon as I get off work I will take more pictures....please stay tuned I really need the help:)

Hi sorry I've been really busy but I've gotten some pictures over the weeks n now she has this clearish film over her eyes n she's weak n barely wants water....she seems on n off...the film on her eyes just happened when I woke up but she's been OK but hasent been the strongest but still been eating but she doesn't want water every few days for the past couple weeks now....: ( I posted some pics but here's some info......the temp ranges because of my room temp...it was really hot now its cooling down in my area....but temp top cage 85-95 f....bottom 75-80.....humidity 50-80 %....she eats crickets every other day not many...n super worms every other day....1 a week I sprinkle some super cal HD on her crickets...next week some reptivite on crickets or super worms....water n mist 3-6 times a day....I got her in late December of 2012 n she was already about 2-3 months old so she's about 8-9 months old....she is an ambilobe panther....I take her out 1-3 times a week....she's only been outside once:( sorry....her cage is a mesh type....with a blueish light n a heat lamp...and a reptisun...she only has fake plants and two wood logs...I live in Illinois... The cage is at the edge of a window not directly in front of it with sunshine about 15-20% of the day...I also have the fan on sometimes... But I don't really notice a difference

Attachments

• IMG_20130728_121345.jpg
    IMG_20130728_121345.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20130726_160432.jpg
    IMG_20130726_160432.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20130722_160642.jpg
    IMG_20130722_160642.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20130719_172941.jpg
    IMG_20130719_172941.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20130719_172806.jpg
    IMG_20130719_172806.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 161
shes now shedding a little but not like the other times..

She still has this film over her eyes....also she has this lump on her neck now...and she's climbing on the cage like she wants out...this is unnormal because she always wants to stay in her cage

Attachments

• IMG_20130729_161401.jpg
    IMG_20130729_161401.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 117
I am sorry to see she is having problems.

I think she has an infection in the sinus area combined with the beginnings of MBD. A vet visit is necessary unfortunately, but she probably can be saved with swift action.

If you don't have the cash put it on credit.

Good luck, she looks like a sweetie.

Edit: You will also need to figure out where the shortcomings in your husbandry that led to the MBD, but getting the infection addressed is your immediate concern. You will need to look at her lighting, supplementation, feeder mix, and gutloading practices.

Since she is being so nice rite now she actually let me touch her eyes n with her help lol she actually helped me...I took out the stuff that was covering her eyes...it was like gooey eye buhgurs..she was moving her head against my finger to help me get it out...it was like she knew I was trying to help her...she's never that nice...she looked at me after I took the majority of the stuff out like she's never seen me before n she started to grip me really tight n her beard came down a little... Then I just pet her and put her back in her cage n idk now I'll have to wait n see....she is shedding kinda but not like before... I don't know what caused the stuff over her eyes or the lump but shes now rubbing her eye against a branch to get the rest of the stuff out.

Since she is being so nice rite now she actually let me touch her eyes n with her help lol she actually helped me...I took out the stuff that was covering her eyes...it was like gooey eye buhgurs..she was moving her head against my finger to help me get it out...it was like she knew I was trying to help her...she's never that nice...she looked at me after I took the majority of the stuff out like she's never seen me before n she started to grip me really tight n her beard came down a little... Then I just pet her and put her back in her cage n idk now I'll have to wait n see....she is shedding kinda but not like before... I don't know what caused the stuff over her eyes or the lump but shes now rubbing her eye against a branch to get the rest of the stuff out.

The lump and goo is likely from the infection. It will not go away on its own.

I don't want to be harsh because you came here for help because you obviously care about your cham, but if she doesn't get antibiotics she is not going to make it. These things do not resolve on their own with chameleons.

We are here to support you, I wish you luck

How long have you had her? You stated you only use the calcium once a week..you should be using it everyday. You said you have a Reptisun UVB so most likely the MBD(which is not too severe yet) was caused by lack of calcium in the diet. More than likely the gunk will come back again. Please borrow the money and get your chameleon to a vet as soon as you can. Waiting to see if it gets better on its own is not the answer.

How long have you had her? You stated you only use the calcium once a week..you should be using it everyday. You said you have a Reptisun UVB so most likely the MBD(which is not too severe yet) was caused by lack of calcium in the diet. More than likely the gunk will come back again. Please borrow the money and get your chameleon to a vet as soon as you can. Waiting to see if it gets better on its own is not the answer.

Calcium dust every day is a bit excessive, in my experience. To then claim that this is likely due to a calcium deficiency is just not there from what we know.

The animal has multiple issues right now. A competent vet may be able to help. One not schooled in chameleons might be a waste of money.

Calcium dust every day is a bit excessive, in my experience. To then claim that this is likely due to a calcium deficiency is just not there from what we know.

The animal has multiple issues right now. A competent vet may be able to help. One not schooled in chameleons might be a waste of money.

Just going by what everyone seems to do on here and that is calcium at every feeding without the d3, with d3 twice monthly and multi vit twice monthly also. I do not use d3 as my chameleons are generally housed outdoors all day. I never knew that to be excessive especially if they are in the developmental stages??? I know you know far more than me, but just have never heard of there being problems with the daily dusting and it is the recommendation on here. Also, if the chameleon is getting the proper uvb exposure then what is the likely culprit if it is not a lack of calcium in the diet??? I am always willing and eager to learn everything I can, so if you can enlighten me on this I would appreciate it! I mean this in a nice way!! I respect you and your input.

Just going by what everyone seems to do on here and that is calcium at every feeding without the d3, with d3 twice monthly and multi vit twice monthly also. I do not use d3 as my chameleons are generally housed outdoors all day. I never knew that to be excessive especially if they are in the developmental stages??? I know you know far more than me, but just have never heard of there being problems with the daily dusting and it is the recommendation on here. Also, if the chameleon is getting the proper uvb exposure then what is the likely culprit if it is not a lack of calcium in the diet??? I am always willing and eager to learn everything I can, so if you can enlighten me on this I would appreciate it! I mean this in a nice way!! I respect you and your input.

Carol. I wish you the best with your husbandry. But you made the dual claims that:

1) Daily calcium supplementation was recommended; and

2) That it was the likely base cause of the eye issues.

It is for you to support such with something more substantial than anecdotal info. And frankly, I do not see any anecdotal support in your post.

The point that I made, and which still stands, is that we cannot possibly know based on the limited information. I also doubt that the poster with the ill chameleon could possibly give us enough info to make a diagnosis. While I am not diagnosing the problem, in my experience a vitamin A deficiency, now far advanced to the point of secondary eye infections, is far more probable than anything calcium. However, I am not diagnosing such. Only pointing out that there are so many possibilities, and I think it foolish to offer any diagnosis, and more importantly, corrective action based on such limited abilities in this situation.

To the original poster. I hope you can afford to see a competent vet. I suspect you have a couple of issues. The apparent eye infections do need to be treated, but they do not just happen out of the blue. Something else enabled such.

What vitamin supplement do you use ? Thanks.

Carol. I wish you the best with your husbandry. But you made the dual claims that:

1) Daily calcium supplementation was recommended; and

2) That it was the likely base cause of the eye issues.

It is for you to support such with something more substantial than anecdotal info. And frankly, I do not see any anecdotal support in your post.

The point that I made, and which still stands, is that we cannot possibly know based on the limited information. I also doubt that the poster with the ill chameleon could possibly give us enough info to make a diagnosis. While I am not diagnosing the problem, in my experience a vitamin A deficiency, now far advanced to the point of secondary eye infections, is far more probable than anything calcium. However, I am not diagnosing such. Only pointing out that there are so many possibilities, and I think it foolish to offer any diagnosis, and more importantly, corrective action based on such limited abilities in this situation.

To the original poster. I hope you can afford to see a competent vet. I suspect you have a couple of issues. The apparent eye infections do need to be treated, but they do not just happen out of the blue. Something else enabled such.

What vitamin supplement do you use ? Thanks.

No Jim, I was suggesting that the lack of calcium was causing the MBD(that is what I stated) which it appears it has from the pics of the curvy front legs? Maybe I am wrong, but the front legs don't look right. I use Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Outdoor, and I also use Herptivite multi. I was not sure if you were asking me that question or the OP. I do not think that calcium deficiency would cause an eye problem either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom